Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram/Hard drive/OS Problem?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CallMeIshmael

CallMeIshmael

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

So I'm new to this whole "help forum" thing, but here it goes:

I have a dell XPS 400 computer that was running Windows XP. Over the years it builds up junk and my little brother got some viruses on it. Last time this happened I reinstalled the OS from a Microsoft disk and it was fine. Well it happened again, so I went to reinstall the OS disk and this is where the problems start to happen.

The disk takes forever to install (Due to a bad primary cd tray I had to configure the computer to boot from the secondary tray which is much slower, but I'll bring that up later), and finally does, but not without not being able to find some files. Most noticeably ntldr. So now my computer won't boot to windows.

Me being crafty as I thought I was, I downloaded linux to a usb drive on my other computer (By linux specs and programs) , and figured if windows was not working, ubuntu would be able to boot from the pendrive and I'd eventually get windows back.

Well that didn't work, and it just would hang after the start up install screen. According to the people over at linux, this is a RAM problem, and I need new RAM. But my RAM was working fine before hand when I was running Windows two days ago so it can't be bad. And now the windows cd won't even attempt to boot and just gives me blue screen about 5 seconds into it, with the message, according to the people at windows, that my RAM is bad.

So unless my RAM burned up on that long windows install, I can't figure out what the problem is.

But I'm kind of thinking I may have messed up the drives since I had to configure it to boot from the second cd tray and had to turn off the other and whatnot to be able to do it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for at least reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:31 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

The first thing you should try is re-seating your RAM sticks to see if this resolves your problem.

Depending on how many sticks of RAM you have installed, if there is more than one try using one stick at a time and try rebooting again, if boot fails, switch to the other RAM stick and boot again.

You can also download windows diagnostic utility for testing your RAM modules for errors.

Please go to this link and follow the instructions and download the tool.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 CallMeIshmael

CallMeIshmael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:38 PM

I had tried reseating and that did not work, but I now have just one stick in and I'm installing ubuntu it seems. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!!

#4 CallMeIshmael

CallMeIshmael
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

Alright, so it installed and seems to be working fine. Just on the slow side. How do I now go about adding that RAM back without messing the computer up again? Since it booted on the first stick I tried I have no clue which one is the bad one.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:45 PM

If your computer is booting properly with just one RAM stick installed, that is an indicater that the one that is not present may be the one with a problem.

Try switching the other one into the slot and leave the one you have in now aside for a bit and try rebooting the computer.

If the computer boots up with any errors, you know you have a bad RAM stick, something is not correct with it, its either a mis-match, (incapatible module) or there is a defect.

If the computer does boot up okay with just this RAM stick, you may either have two RAM sticks that do not get along with each other, or you are not following the instructions on which slots you are supposed to be using.

I am going to go to the Dell web site and link you to some support pages for your computer.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...ps400/index.htm This page contains links to both a user manual and a service manual.

This information may be helpful to you for diagnosing the status lights on the back of your computer.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...t.htm#wp1054146

This is the specs on your computer. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...s.htm#wp1053343 Make sure both RAM modules are what is specified in the box for MEMORY.

This is information regarding adding hardware to your computer. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...s.htm#wp1058068
Please pay special attention to the page I linked you to above, please note Dimm 1 and dimm 2 are NOT next to each other, the dimm slots are dimm 1 dimm 3 dimm 2 and dimm 4

Notes I copied from that page are here:

Memory modules should be installed in pairs of matched memory size, speed, and technology. If the memory modules are not installed in matched pairs, the computer will continue to operate, but with a slight reduction in performance. See the label in the corner of the module to determine the module's capacity.

NOTE: Always install memory modules in the order indicated on the system board.

The recommended memory configurations are:

A pair of matched memory modules installed in connectors DIMM_1 and DIMM_2

or

A pair of matched memory modules installed in connectors DIMM_1 and DIMM_2 and another matched pair installed in connectors DIMM_3 and DIMM_4

NOTICE: Do not install ECC or buffered memory modules. Only unbuffered, non-ECC memory is supported.

If you install mixed pairs of DDR2 400-MHz (PC2-3200), DDR2 533-MHz (PC2-4300) and DDR2 667-MHz (PC2-5300) memory, the modules function at the slowest speed installed.

Be sure to install a single memory module in the DIMM_1 connector, the connector closest to the processor, before you install modules in the other connectors.

Hope this helps.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 August 2010 - 02:19 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users