Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet shortcut property sheet

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

So I have Bleeping Computer on my IE8 favourites. So when I go there, it says "The target of this internet shortcut is not valid. Go to the Internet Shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is correct." I did a Google search and there doesn't seem to be a clear solution and I don't know where I would find the internet shortcut property sheet. It only started doing this yesterday on Bleeping Computer only and does not affect any other favourites. And I already deleted it from Favourites and re-added it and that doesn't help. Please advise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:05 PM

So nobody knows about this?

#3 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:40 PM

Microsoft has a Hotfix for this for IE7. So would this also work for IE8?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936881

#4 cocoam

cocoam

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:40 AM

I have same problem. Almost all new Favorites are showing up under IE icon and getting the invalid notice (I guess 80% or more) and not just BleepingCmptr's; no warning or indications until I go back in. I am sometimes getting two links added, one valid and the second invalid. I also found the MS IE7 hotfix, but did not apply it. I reinstalled IE8 hoping that would solve - does not, so don't waste time on that. I believe the problem started shortly after a MS security update, but darned if I can recall which one now because I did a clean install (early February) and there have been at least two or three security updates since then (for XP - and, another just this morning!). Strangely enough, in conjunction with this problem, I am from time-to-time also getting the old Error 404 site unavailable or unknown again (this was a problem with Javascript that came up during IE6, if I remember correctly). Anyway, all my Java is up-to-date and should not be causing this problem, and all compatability issues are resolved to my knowledge. This does not happen a lot, but I've been surprised to see it at all (maybe 5 times total) but it certainly happened during the same time period - wondering if they're connected in some way. Or...maybe they were just really old link references??

Also, just to let you know, I tried adding links with add-on's disabled to see if anything there was interferring - no difference. I also added links directly into Favorites without putting into folders and only one out of five added this way was good, the others invalid (no double links occured during this test). I don't know if this will help anyone narrow it down or not, but thought I'd at least keep others from running through the same failed sequence.

Hoping someone can come up with the answer soon.

#5 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:06 PM

Just to let you know I switched to Chrome. No more IE for me.

#6 cocoam

cocoam

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:29 PM

Forum Addict, please let me know if you like Chrome. I've heard some really bad and some really good, as well as some just don't care. I considered going there or to one of the others (Firefox, etc.) but I'm sooo very comfortable with IE. Also, I don't like the way Google changed their search engine parameters recently - absolutely hate it, as a matter of fact- so I'm reluctant. Also have some ethical concerns with the way Google conducts business. Well, don't mean to ramble, but I'm fed up and would really appreciate your opinion on Chrome!

Best of luck!

#7 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

Chrome is faster than IE and easier to use than Firefox.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

Hi Cocoam

I have Chrome 10 loaded as well as FF 3.6.15 and IE8. Will load IE9 once the final release is out.

Regarding Chrome. I too was reluctant to use it because of things I had read and verified. Since google has cleaned up their EULA a bit I went ahead and installed it just to check it out.

It is fast, stable, and from everything I have read to this point, un-cracked.

However, I admit I rarely use it. My FF is highly tweaked to my liking and am quit comfortable going anywhere on the Web I choose using it.

IE8 gets used only for Windows updates. Will likely be the same when the final release of IE9 comes out.

#9 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:17 PM

I never liked Firefox. Too geeky for me.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:23 PM

To each their own.

I like playing with and tweaking things. FF fits the bill.

Between add-ons and about:config hacks it can be pretty much tailored to an individuals liking.

#11 cocoam

cocoam

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:38 AM

Okay, so Chrome looks somewhat better. . .but no one has addressed the problem with IE? I'm seeing a lot of searches out there to try and find an answer to the problem but no answers.

I've never liked FireFox and only seen problems for people who are not 'geeky' and/or don't have the time or inclination to figure it out (me included). Some swear by it, but it would be my last resort.

Thank you, both, for your feed back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users