Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with conflicting software, virus or other? Don't know! Please help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wulframandhart

wulframandhart

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

For some time, my machine has been acting very sluggish. Tabs open slow and IE freezes between them when closing tabs. I downloaded and tried many antivirus/malware software and nothing seems to have fixed the issue for good. If you need a complete list I can probably find that but there are a lot. Something seems to have happened to Malwarebytes because when I click on the program, it returns this error: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware: vbAccelerator SGrid II Control - Run-time error '0'and '440' Automation error. I also have installed Superantispyware (all it finds is tracking cookies), had Avast free but removed recently trying to find the problem. Tried BitDefender and hated it. Still have the online scanner for Norton, BitDefender, Eset, Currently using a full trial of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware. In the first scan it found quite a few issues from some time ago. False positives maybe? I let the program put them in cold storage just to be safe. Will delete later if necessary.

Between all these programs, they're just not finding that much left now. Mostly tracking traces and cookies. So I don't know if it's an actual malware or just buried in removal programs with wrong settings that interfere. If anyone has a link to a tutorial how to set these to absolutely NOT interfere with the main program and it actually works, please tell me. I'm drowning here!

My Emsisoft may be competing with other programs (but I don't see any when I cntrl-alt-del). I have noticed that ctfmon just won't seem to go away from opening when windows opens no matter how many times I uncheck it! Would like to kill that sucker for good! I also have the Iobit Advanced SystemCare and 360, Spyware Doctor, Kaspersky, Avira and some others for on demand. But I don't know really how you can set them not to interfere with the main program of the moment: Emsisoft. They are not active, but maybe there is something running if just a placeholder?

The main problem I'm dealing with right now is IE freezing. I have to hit the 'X' and kill everything (it does kill EVERYTHING by the way, as in IE completely closes when I hit that X in the top right corner of IE 8. I can recover them with IEPro7, but even that seems to cause problems. Personally I think my problems are mainly in the settings of the various programs and possibly something in the IE7Pro Preferences (keep getting random "enable javascript" requests when it's already enabled). It's like the whole system is confused. So am I.

Is there a tool or program or service that I can download to tell me what settings are fouled up and conflicting with others? That would be great!

I am running an XP Windows IE8. Let me know what else you need. Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:27 PM

Hi,
You have way too many antivirus programs in there. You should take out Emsisoft and leave only Kaspersky since that's the best out of all of them you mentioned. Eset's good too, so it's a toss-up between Kaspersky and Eset. You can leave MBAM, but everything else needs to be uninstalled. What is happening is that all of the antivirus programs are trying to compete for each other's quarentine items, detecting each other's items, as well as taking up CPu cycles and system resources. You should be fine once you do that.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#3 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

First off, you should only have one anti-malware program. I suggest getting Microsoft Security Essentials, it's a free program from Microsoft that has very good detection rates. You can occasionally run something like MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, for major stuff (as long as you don't have both running at the same time).

Have you tried using a different browser? Such as Google Chrome of Firefox? IE isn't that good... yet. And Chrome and/or Firefox would be a good switch.

Try using a different browser, after removing all of those useless anti-malware programs, and try the ones I suggested. Then let us know how that goes...

Hope it helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users