Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System shuts down on logon

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sock Monster

Sock Monster

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:10 AM

Hi, I'm running a laptop (Lenovo G450) with Windows 7 Ultimate (Upgraded from Starter) and I've been experiencing a system shutdown whenever I try to log on. At first it simply turned off a few seconds after logging back on after hibernation (before that I'd logged off my other account that I use at school with auto-logoff after lessons so I can concentrate on studying). Thinking that it was some sort of hardware problem (which I had experienced before - GPU overheating, which I'd fixed by replacing the thermal compound), I tried looking for problems inside my laptop. None.

After two failed login attempts (both ended up in shutdowns a few seconds after clicking my user icon), I tried logging on using Safe Mode, and it worked, and I checked Event Viewer. Two item caught my eye at first - Error items in my System event logs.
It was for sptd, and it gave the message "Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for ."
Apparently this was related to Daemon Tools, so I uninstalled Daemon Tools and disabled the registry entry for the sptd driver. After that I performed a system file check using sfc /scannow in the Command Prompt. It said something about files that needed to be repaired, and said that it would repair them by the next system boot.

The next one was from Service Control Manager:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
aswRdr
aswSP
aswTdi
DfsC
discache
LenovoVCD
NetBIOS
NetBT
nsiproxy
Psched
rdbss
spldr
sptd

I tried logging on again.
This time, one second after clicking any username(I removed the time-limited one, and made a new, blank one), the system just promptly shut down. No bluescreens, no nothing. Just the kind that I'd get when my GPU reaches its limit. Except that it wasn't even hot - I'd opened the bottom of my laptop case, and used a cooling fan under it.

After another foray into Safe Mode and Event Viewer, I found this new error entry from Service Control Manager:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
aswSP
discache
LenovoVCD
spldr
Wanarpv6

I'm still using safe mode at the moment, hoping that I might find a solution to this issue.
I would appreciate it if help was given as soon as possible, I do digital art for a living (I'm a student studying overseas), and have clients waiting.

UPDATE: The next two restarts showed no strange error logs in Event Viewer, yet ended up shutting down without warning before the login screen even came up, and Startup Repair failed to find any issues with startup items.

Edited by Sock Monster, 12 August 2010 - 10:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sock Monster

Sock Monster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

UPDATE2: Did a clean reinstall of my entire system. After installing all the drivers on first boot, and upgrading to Ultimate (since my install DVD is Win7 starter, and I have an Ultimate upgrade key), windows 7 loads after restart, but immediately after the loading screen disappears, the system just turns off without warning.

Safe Mode with Networking still works, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users