Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Update checker: where does it start from?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Joaho

Joaho

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:57 AM

Hello Forum,

today when I started my computer a message popped up that there is a new version of Adobe Flash and if I want to install it now.
I am sure that it was genuine Adobe and I remember having seen the same for Adobe Reader before too. I do NOT think that it is something weird.
But i had not yet started anything, plain desktop, which means this update checker is autostarting and connecting to the internet.
That I do not like at all, then if Adobe can do this, everybody else can do it too!
Taskmanager told me that the name is flashutil10h_plugin.exe. I found this in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash
(When I start it it says that it will uninstall Adobe Flash Player)

1. I cannot find the place where it autostarts from, I have used autoruns from Sysinternals, it found nothing with Adobe, Macromedia, flash, update.
2. How can it connect? I am using an old, rocksolid firewall (Kerio 2.1.5). Everything is forbidden exept things I allow explicitely. All allow rules are restricted to one program (eg. Opera) or to certain external IPs (eg. NTP).
IE, activeX and scripting are all uninstalled with XPLite.

So here is my question: how is Adobe doing this?

Thanks for your time!
Joaho

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

When you install Adobe...it includes an updater to your Adobe file configuration. The folder location is probably C:\Docs&Settings\User\Applications.

It's perfectly safe and I suggest that users employ it.

Adobe (like Micrososoft, AV developers, Java, etc.) tends to come out with updates which are designed to make known security vulnerabilities less troublesome. So users who are continuing to use older versions...wind up with a system where known vulnerabilities can be exploited.

FWIW: Rather than use the old Kerio firewall, you may want to use a more current version...now called the Sunbelt Personal Firewall.

I'm an old Kerio user also, but I believe that they come out with updated versions...for a reason that has nothing to do with just creating another free product.

Louis

Worth reading, IMO: http://www.macromedia.com/support/document...elp/help10.html

Edited by hamluis, 12 August 2010 - 05:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users