Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mail Merging Excel Sheet To Postcards

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kat

Kat

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 29 October 2005 - 02:11 PM

Having entered data on an Excel spreadsheet (Excel 2000), how the heck can I pull it over via mail merge (into a Word doc?) and onto a pre-printed postcard billing? Can I juggle the locations of all the fields needed to print onto the postcard so that they fall into the right spot, upon printing?

Here's what the postcard looks like...

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 29 October 2005 - 11:28 PM

That should be possible, so long as you have a printer that can print on those postcards...

A quick Google found these tutorials which should help:

http://www.facsup.armstrong.edu/jobaidpdf/wordmailmerge.PDF

and a video tutorial
http://www.mistupid.com/technical/mailmerge/index.htm

- it seems the key step is producing a form letter in Word so the field layout corresponds with the printed form.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:21 PM

Assuming that Word doc is designed to print this postcard, as Rimmer says, and assuming that excel holds a list of people and addresses, you need to get the list into Word, right? Make Excel put the list out for you as a .txt file or .csv (comma separated values) file and tell Word to take that list and use it in its placeholder variables.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:29 AM

tos226 - that step is not necessary, mailmerge can get the data straight from the Excel file provided the columns have headings.
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:52 PM

tos226 - that step is not necessary, mailmerge can get the data straight from the Excel file provided the columns have headings.
:thumbsup:

Funny thing is, I've done it straight from Excel several times ... whoa, I'm losing it I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users