Are you using Daemon Tools
or another CD Emulator like Alchohol 120%
I ask because sptd.sys is related to Daemon Tools and installed as a service. See here
These type of tools uses rootkit-like techniques
to hide from other applications and to circumvent copy protection schemes. As a result of this technology, some files related to the program may at times be detected as a "Suspiciousl
", "Potentially Unwanted Program
" or even "Malware
" (virus/trojan) when that is not the case
. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish
between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove
them. In these cases the detection is a "False Positive
Anytime you come across a suspicious file or you want a second opinion, submit it to Jotti's virusscan
. In the "File to upload & scan
" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
When the quarantined file is known to be malicious
, you can delete
it at any time usually by launching the program which removed it, going to the Quarantine tab, and choosing the option to delete. If it was a false positive, then you can choose the option to restore the file.
Please download bootkit_remover.rar
and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
You will need to extract the remover.exe
file using a program capable of extracing RAR compressed files. If you don't have an extraction program, you can downlaod, install and use 7-zip
- Right-click on the bootkit_remover.rar file and select "extract/unzip here".
- This will create two readme files and a file named remover.exe on your desktop.
- Double-click on remover.exe.
Note: Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
- A command window will open with a black screen and some data on it.
- Right-click on the screen and choose Select All.
- The screen will turn white. Press CTRL+C to copy the data on that screen.
- Open Notepad and press CTRL+V, or click on the Edit tab and choose Paste.
- Copy and paste the output from Notepad in your next reply.
- Clcik on the black screen and Press any key on the keyboard to exit.