Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD using/losing excessive space.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kanon04

Kanon04

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:29 AM

Properties of C drive say it has 10~15GB+ less free space then any of the scans Ive run on it to tell me how much free space it has left. Also anything i put on to it uses up excess space. Installed Firefox which should of took 56~66MB and lost 600MB in HDD space, Installed CSS which is ~4.5GB and lost ~9GB of space. It will also lose space for no reason as far as I can tell. Several times i put the comp into hibernation and when i booted it back up it had 1-3GB less space then before hibernation. Tried everythin from clearing shadow copys and temp files to scanning for viruses with several different softwares from online, offline, external devices, in and out of safemode. No bad sectors showed up in DskChk and reinstalling OS did not fix it either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:16 AM

G'day Kanon.......give this a try. Hope it is of some help.

http://ask-leo.com/how_can_i_tell_whats_ta...disk_space.html

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Sevard

Sevard

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:18 AM

You may also use Space Sniffer to check which files/folders use much disk space.
Have you tried to limit space used by Shadow Copy?

#4 Kanon04

Kanon04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:15 PM

Condobloke, Ive already tried those but thank you for the reply.

Sevard, Ive done that aswell. I actively delete my shadow copys but it doesnt seem to free up much space. Ive also done several scan to try and pinpoint where the space is being used up but... the thing is, is that when I do the scans it tells me how much space is being used fairly accurately to my own manual calculations. But if I go look at the c:/ properties, the disk space it displays as being used is always considerably higher. Everything I put on the HDD seems to get allotted more space then it should be taking.

For Example

Program ---> Actual Size ---> Space used According to C:/ Properties

Firefox --------- 66MB ------------ 500MB

CSS ----------- 4.5GB ------------- 9.1GB

AntiVirus ----- 400MB ------------ 1.3GB

Video --------- 800MB ------------ 2.4GB

Total Space Used (Scan): 22.7GB
Total Space Used (C:/ Display): 34.8GB

The more hard drive space I use the larger the discrepancy between the 2 becomes. Before I reformatted there was ~50GB just missing because of this and after reinstall its still happening.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

Run chkdsk /r on the partition/drive in question.

Also...if you have items in the Recycle Bin, that space is not removed from the partition until the RB is dumped.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users