Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Cooling?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 frogg

frogg

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:37 PM

My friend's laptop sometimes overheats and shuts down when we are playing newer videogames, such as GRID and modern warfare 2. Using Speedfan, he says the internal temp can often reach 70 or 80 c, even with the fans working fully.

He doesn't want to buy a 40 dollar laptop cooling pad. What are some easy and inexpensive ways to cool the laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:38 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I would suggest the first thing you be looking at is a little bit of computer maintenance, such as dust removal.

Those laptop computers face more environmental abuse than a desktop computer does because they are moved about and are subjected to more dust particles.

I would be looking into trying a can of compressed air and use the little red plastic straw inserted into the nozzle and point that straw into any openings, specially any where near where the processor cooling fan is located, you may be amazed how much dust will be blown out those things!

If worse comes to worse, you may have to remove the bottom cover to gain direct access to the processor heat sink to dislodge any embedded dust from the heat sink fins.

After you conduct this procedure, try running those games again and see if conditions have improved.

Kind regards.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

laptop cooling pad for 40$...wew...I usually buy it for 3-5$...
but I was looking cooling pad that not take power from usb but from AC/DC power...why...because it will reduce some heat that generate from usb...
and cooling pad doesnt reduce too much heat...expecially for a skiny/less weight laptop...and sometimes you need to see on manufacture website or recall product (laptop)...because sometimes they product have some problem on their product...the problem could be related to heat...

about temp 70-80 while playing game...if you know how to open your laptop...try to open it and see your heatsink fan looked like what...I think you only have one heatsink fan that cover processor, vga and chipset...and if you know how to change it...change it to 1 heatsink (fan) for 1 part (processor, chipset, vga)....this was very hard to do...because its very very hard to find heatsink (fan) that fit with your component (processor, vga, chipset)...

the manufacture uses one heatsink fan for all parts (processor, vga, chipset) just to cut prizes and loose the weight...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:37 PM

My friend's laptop sometimes overheats and shuts down when we are playing newer videogames, such as GRID and modern warfare 2. Using Speedfan, he says the internal temp can often reach 70 or 80 c, even with the fans working fully.

He doesn't want to buy a 40 dollar laptop cooling pad. What are some easy and inexpensive ways to cool the laptop?

As suggested, blowing out the dust (cleaning) will help. Also, I wouldn't suggest impeding airflow with anything covering the vents. Prop the laptop up if you need to so that the fans have improved airflow.

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:42 PM

This makes for a good read. :thumbsup:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#6 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:49 PM

^^^Basically what we recommended: cleaning it out and propping it up. :thumbsup:

#7 frogg

frogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:46 PM

Ok, thanks. I'll get him to open up the case and spray out the dust, especially since he's never sprayed the dust out of it before. You guys are great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users