Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No taskbar or desktop icon, explorer.exe crashes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Prettyriver

Prettyriver

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

Windows XP Pro sp3
Boots to welcome screen with user name but selecting that opens with just desktop picture, no icons or taskbar. Starting explorer.exe from taskmanager briefly displays task bar but explorer crashes. Windows Live OneCare did find and quarantine a backdoor but I stupidly did not write down the name. I installed AVG free and ran it but nothing important. I have also run Malwarebyte, Spybot Search and Destroy and SuperAntiSpyware. All found cookies but nothing major.

/WINDOWS/explorer.exe is 1,010 KB dated 13/04/2008 7:12 PM

Have you seen this before?
Any Ideas

Edited by hamluis, 12 August 2010 - 07:06 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:06 AM

Does it exhibit the same behavior in safe mode?

#3 Prettyriver

Prettyriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:46 AM

Pretty much. It offers Administrator or Beth, It does bring up the Safe mode screen in either, a quick flash that is not readable but I suspect is the taskbar, and then a black screen with Safe Mode Microsoft ...(Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514 ...

Taskmanager still comes up with Ctl-Alt-Del. In Administrator there are only 14 processes including System Idle Process, taskmgr.exe, avgcsrvx.exe (3 times), svhost (2 times)lsass.exe, winlogin.exe, csrss.exe, smss.exe and System. Only taskmfr and idle have significant CPU.

Looking around, there are no files in the system folder. The date modified is 15/05/2008 but of course that might not be correct.

Gord

Edited by Prettyriver, 12 August 2010 - 08:58 AM.

#4 Prettyriver

Prettyriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:37 AM

Just got smart enough to realize I should run chkdsk /r is what I need it there are damaged sectors. It has replaced bad clusters in |WINDOWS\system32\drivers\rasacd.sys and \WINDOWS\win.ini. I will let if finish and see how it goes now.

Gord

#5 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:09 AM

If that doesn't work and you have your original install disk, run "sfc /scannow" from the command prompt.

#6 Prettyriver

Prettyriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:27 AM

I have her machine back up there does still seem to be some damage. It is a Lenovo and on boot it complains about an error in the security system. It will boot and the desktop is functioning now. I will have a further look when time permits.

What I did was to boot into the recovery partion to see if there was some way to run sfc from there. They have a report that shows changes in the last week. There was an Intel network monitoring program and a couple of others that did not seem essential. Google desktop had also been installed (or partly). I removed the Google desktop from Add/Change programs in the regular boot and Explorer now runs.

Still some cleanup but nearly there.

Thanks for your help
Gord

#7 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

I'm sorry - missed it in your earlier post - you have bad sectors? If there are actual physical bad sectors and not just file system corruption, it could be early signs of a failing hard drive.

Maybe you should run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic, just to be safe:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users