Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games on Steam freeze while quicksaving?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 fdd

fdd

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

This is a strange problem. Recently I've been having problems with the computer due to malware, and thankfully these issues seem to be resolved thanks to this site. However, a new problem has popped up concerning quicksaving in games. The only games I play i play through Steam, and I've encountered an issue.

On sunday, I was playing Fallout 3, a game I've logged 70 hours on without save issues. I notice some malware stuff pop up in the background, and I quicksave and exit the game, no problems. After getting rid of the malware and running combofix (I was asked to for the thread), the computer restarted and I went to open steam. Got the following message: "Illegal Operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion." This came up when I tried to run anything, so I rebooted and everything was fine. I go on Steam, startup Fallout 3, and find that quicksaving will freeze the game for 10-15 seconds, sometimes longer, before confirming I had quicksaved successfully and letting me continue. It's started doing this with Max Payne as well, although with Max Payne the quicksave freeze is about 3-4 seconds, and it also freezes for 3-4 seconds when I try to pause the game. I'm worried combofix may have removed something that affects saving in games. I have played both of these games before on this computer with no issues. Normal saves seem to work fine, but I would still like to use quicksaves without it freezing the game.

My system specs:
Processor: AMD Athlon 54 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60Ghz
RAM: 2GB
Graphic Card: Nvidia 9500 GT

I've updated all my graphics drivers and stuff, and my hard drive has around 50gb of free space too. I've also reinstalled steam, verified game cache files and defragged the hard drive. If anyone has any ideas please reply. Thanks :thumbsup:

Edited by fdd, 11 August 2010 - 07:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users