Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network card help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 causio08

causio08

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:57 PM

Greetings to all,

I had to replace my onboard ethernet LAN card as it was dying. I replaced it with a Linkys PCI Gigabit ethernet card.
One thing that I noticed is that with the onboard LAN card, the antivirus would update the definitions as scheduled even though the PC was shut down, I could see that the pc was getting an internet signal as the light on my router port was on.
The box that said " Let the computer turn the item off to save energy " was clicked.

Now with the new LAN card, when the pc is shut down, the light on the router port goes out as well.
I was under the impression that when the antivirus update schedule kicked in, that it would process.

Well, it did not. When I came back from a weekend getaway, the antivirus did not update and relayed to me that the database was outdated and needed updating.

So, my question is how can I fix this issue? I thought that the card would let the updates thru even though the pc was off.

Do the onboard Lan cards operate differently from the PCI cards? I now think they do but how?

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

thanks to all

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

A system that is off...cannot receive files, no matter if you have an always-on connection or not.

The location/destination for any...any file...would be the hard drive. No power to the hard drive means no files can be installed while Windows is not in an operational state.

Louis

#3 causio08

causio08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

thanks Louis,

the only solution that I can think of is to restart the PC instead of shutting it off in order to receive the antivirus new updates when leaving for a long weekend.

I don't know what made think that the onboard lan was always on...maybe because I was getting the updates and now the database is obsolete if the pc is off for a couple of days with the new card in place.

Again, I appreciated your help...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

Well...what's so important about trying to receive updates...when the system is off and you are away from the system?

Why not do like most of us do...when we are away or busy and the system is off...we don't worry about updates. We do those when we resume normal operations...or lack thereof, in my case :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users