Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what are the top 10 memory brands?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dnst3

dnst3

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

one of my samsung pc2 5300 sticks died recently and now i need to replace it or upgrade to a 2gb kit + the 1gb thats still working in the pc as we speak. i was aiming for pny but after some google searches they dont seem to be as popular, i think? what am i looking for? cheap prices for quality ram... arent we all? ;) the machine is running windows vista home and the processor is Athlon 64 X2 (:thumbsup: 4000+ 2.1 GHz. i dont really have to go all the way to 3 gb but i thought it might add in the performance. so does anyone have any suggestions ? thanks in advance for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

In my time playing with my personal computers...I have only had a RAM problem 1 time and that was with some new modules from one of the more well-respected sources of RAM (crucial.com).

I don't buy "top ten" or "namebrand" RAM because I don't do anything requiring "performance RAM" or such in my systems. I strictly get the best value for what I want to spend, at that time...ensuring that I have the best value I can discern at that time regarding RAM modules.

Going by brands is somewhat misleading, anyway...since the large chip suppliers like Samsung and Micron...are really more important than the brand appearing as the seller (IMO). It's the chips...that are the RAM.

Rather than bore you with my simplicity, I suggest that you take a look at Memory FAQ..

The others here will share their opinions about their favorites..with you :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:00 PM

It's a lot easier to list the brands I don't like/have had the toughest luck with.

OCZ and PNY are on my "avoid" list. OCZ wins the "most unstable" award. PNY wins the "dead out of the box" award.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:37 PM

Who made your RAM usually doesn't matter unless they are extremely unreliable. If your RAM passes an overnight Memtest without any errors, chances are it will last a good long time regardless of who made it. I have used OCZ and PNY RAM before and haven't had issues, but there is always a random chance something will go wrong even with the best brands. I've recently been using Patriot, Kingston, G.Skill, and A.Data.

3939.png

#5 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

I have OCZ RAM in my desktop and G.Skill RAM in my laptop. I have never had an issue with either.
I think G.Skill RAM is the best value but Kingston HyperX is the highest quality.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#6 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:16 PM

I agree on avoiding OCZ. They used to make good memory, I had a 1GB (2x512) OCZ DDR400 EL and 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ DDR400 Platinum. But I wouldn't touch their current stuff (DDR2 or DDR3). Far too much negative press.

I would go with any of these brands: Mushkin, Kingston, Corsair, G.Skill, Crucial, Patriot

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:29 AM

Another consideration is what you are going to be doing with the computer. For computers that use applications that put a heavy demand on the memory most people will go with high performance modules like Crucial's Ballistix.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:17 AM

thanks a lot all for the information. ill be using the guide as well and staying away from pny :thumbsup: if anyone else would like to contribute that would be cool too.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:08 AM

The Brand I use 99% of the time is Patriot Memory (and no, its not cuz its the same as my name or vice versa) I like the performance/price ratio they offer, every patriot stick Ive ordered has ran fine, is compatible with anything I throw them in, and perform well, as well as cool efficiently, their heat spreaders work really well. After that I like Corsair, I don't mind OCZ, used it and seen it a lot in my area its fairly popular, my only beef with it is its overpriced in my opinion, Patriot, Corsair, and G.Skill offer the same if not better performance and reliability, for less. Ive seen a lot of systems in my area with crucial and kingston ram that seem to run fine as well.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

thanks again guys. this helped me choose a lot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users