Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New graphics cards and motherboard power supply

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Thunderwing

Mr Thunderwing

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

Hi All,

I'm after a bit of advice please. I want to upgrade my graphics card - I'm a total noob at this sort of thing, so have been doing a bit of research to try and figure out what I need to do. I've sussed out that I need an AGP card, but I've got absolutely no idea how to figure out if my motherboard's current power supply will be enough for the card I want.

Some technical details:

My motherboard's a P4 Titan GA-8S661 FXM series (on a UK power supply, dunno if that makes any difference), my current GPU is a NVIDA Geforce FX 5200 and I was planning on upgrading to a Geforce 7600 GT. My CPU's a Pentium 4 running a 3.00Ghz with 2 GB RAM.

Any advice on this would be very gratefully recieved.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

Can you please post the specs on your current PSU's output?

Either post the brand and model number or post the output ratings you see on the PSU's label.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Mr Thunderwing

Mr Thunderwing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for the fast reply MrBruce. Ok, so a quick look around the back of my PC and the info next to where the power cable plugs in says "input 230 VAC 50 hz 3A".

#4 Mr Thunderwing

Mr Thunderwing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:39 PM

Additional info about PSU - thought it would probably be easier to upload a picture from inside the PC than to re-write all the info.

Edit: My image upload seems to have died today for some reason so here's the info:

Max Output power is 400W

Input: 230VAC, 5A Max, 47-63Hz

Output: +12V 18A MAX
+5V 40A MAX
+3.3V 28A MAX
-5V 0.5A MAX
-12V 0.5A MAX

+5V/SB 2.0A MAX

Attached Files

Edited by Mr Thunderwing, 12 August 2010 - 11:24 AM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:58 PM

I see where you have 18 Amps on the 12 volt rail.

I am going to check on the specs of this GeForce 7600 GT to see what demand it will have on your PSU.

Here's what I found written in a product review.

eVGA has never been known for their extravagant bundles, and this card is no exception. In the box there are 2 DVI to VGA adapters, a component output cable, S-Video cable, an information and installation packet, and the driver CD with two trial software packages for media playback and DVD editing/burning. Of note is that there is no 2 x 4 pin molex to PCI-E power cable, as the 7600 GT CO Superclocked does not need an external power connector. The 7600 GT, even when clocked this high, pulls around 60 to 65 watts at full power. The PEG slot it resides in can supply up to 75 watts, so the card is well within that range. This is quite impressive considering how fast this card is overall.

Here's the link I pasted this from. http://penstarsys.com/reviews/video/evga/7...co/7600gt_2.htm

If this holds true your PSU may not be able to power up this card to its full potentual.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 11 August 2010 - 10:28 PM.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 Mr Thunderwing

Mr Thunderwing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

Thanks again for the reply, although I must admit it's confused me a bit. Is that link you provided not referring to the PCI-e version of this card? In the following link for the AGP card -

Firing Squad

- it states that external power is needed for the board as the AGP interface isn't capable of supplying enough power on it's own, and provides a picture of the 4 pin power socket.

Power supply pic

Now, for some weird reason I don't seem to be able to upload images to my post like I could yesterday, but what I would've liked to have shown you is a picture of where my current graphics card is seated on the motherboard, so somebody could explain to me where this external power supply is supposed to plug in, and again whether the current PSU is enough for it.

Thanks in adavance for any advice provided!

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

I am going to try and answer your question.

If your choice of video card is the AGP card, the information stated in the link you provided states that you have to borrow a 4 pin power connecter from the PSU to power up this video card.

I also am not able to upload a pic of the 4 pin power connecter.

But I will try to link to it.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnector...pheralindex.jpg

Try clicking the link above it should show you an image of what this 4 pin power connecter looks like.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 August 2010 - 01:09 PM.

#8 Mr Thunderwing

Mr Thunderwing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:50 PM

Thanks Bruce. So the question is though, where does the other end hook up to on the motherboard? I've uploaded a picture of my motherboard (with a little bit of bit of abuse to my Deviantart account *cough*) here, so could you tell me where to plug it in?

Also, a little bit of further investigation here and it seems to run a 7600GT Agp stably it needs a minimum of a 350W supply with a minimum of 20A on the +12v rail. Looks like although I've got the wattage I'm 2 Amps short, doh! Although the person in the thread I've linked to seems to have got it running with 15A on the +12v rail, albeit with a few problems.

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:35 AM

The other end does not hook up to the motherboard.
It's in the bundle of wires coming from the power supply:

Posted Image
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Mr Thunderwing

Mr Thunderwing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

Thanks tg1911, I'll see if I can find a spare one next time I open up the computer's case.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:07 PM

You're quite welcome, Mr Thunderwing.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#12 Mr Thunderwing

Mr Thunderwing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

New card installed and working perfectly! Thanks to all those who offered advice :thumbsup:

#13 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:27 PM

Good news, Mr Thunderwing.
Glad to hear, everything turned out, OK.
Enjoy the new card. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users