Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard & Touchpad not working - I'm going crazy!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 isabellarose

isabellarose

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

This problem is with my husband's IBM ThinkPad T43. This was a work computer but the company closed down & let him keep his computer (minus all the software disks). This problem I'm experiencing happened because of my stupidity. I was cleaning up the programs loading in the Startup Menu and unchecked several that appeared to be unneeded items. I also removed a file (which is now in the Recycle Bin because our new Kaspersky security program listed it as a keylogger. Now when I reboot, the keyboard & touchpad or mouse won't work when I reach the Control Alt Delete area to move forward into Windows. If I could get in, and use the keyboard, I would just put everything back the way it was, but I've spent days looking on the internet for a way to fix this and have been totally unsuccessful in finding anything that addresses my specific problem.

Please help!

Thank you,
Isabella Rose

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

Try booting into Safe Mode and see if the problem(s) persist.

How to Access Safe Mode

While the computer is turning on, tap F8 once every second until a black screen with white text appears. Using your arrow keys highlight the option Safe Mode and hit Enter.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#3 isabellarose

isabellarose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

I tried that first and all it does is take me to the Control Alt Delete signin area which stops me cold.

Thanks,
Isabella Rose

#4 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:05 PM

"Control Alt Delete Sign In Area?" Have you tried hitting Enter at that point? Entering a username and password?

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#5 isabellarose

isabellarose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

My keyboard/touchpad won't work at that point so the computer doesn't recognize that I'm typing the keys Control Alt Delete. My Enter key doesn't work because the keyboard isn't sending anything to the computer. The keyboard/touchpad work if I press F8 when booting up, etc. but once it hits Windows during bootup, the computer doesn't recognize it anymore.

Thanks,
Isabella Rose

Edited by isabellarose, 11 August 2010 - 04:28 PM.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:44 PM

Please try the suggestion in the following link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/332319/mousekeyboard-not-working/
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 isabellarose

isabellarose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

I'll try it....I looked at that answer earlier before I posted my problem. I'm not so sure that addresses my issue, but I'll look into it.

What I need to do is somehow recheck the items in the StartUp menu and also go to the recycle bin and restore the file I deleted. Everything worked fine before I messed with those.

Thanks,
Isabella Rose

Edited by isabellarose, 11 August 2010 - 04:59 PM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:05 PM

Hello I am going to provide you with a link to the Lenovo web site to a download page, which lists a DOS version of a boot disk and other recovery software that works with this T43 model number.

If you check this page out you will most likely find a way to get the keyboard to function again.

I realize you said the thinkpad came with no disks included, most of the utilities are on this web page.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-58597

Hope this helps to get your problem resolved.

Kind regards.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 isabellarose

isabellarose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

Thank you so much!

This may sound like a stupid question, but I need to ask it anyway. Do I need to access the Lenovo website from the IBM ThinkPad PC because I tried to do that yesterday and wasn't able to download anything onto the IBM PC from any website. The IBM PC has some kind of Recovery Program that is accessed by pushing a button while booting up and it has proved pretty useless to me. It allowed me to access the internet and even though I get to various websites, I'm unable to download anything from anywhere.

If I can get this info by using my working PC, then I will definitely be moving forward.

Thank you,
Isabella Rose

Edited by isabellarose, 11 August 2010 - 05:13 PM.

#10 isabellarose

isabellarose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:46 PM

I'm still working on this Bruce. So far I haven't been able to make this work for me. However, I have another scenario I can try. I need to use an ethernet cable instead of wireless which I will have access to later.

Thank you again.

Isabella Rose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users