Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you write scripts to run in iWorks w/ apple script?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:16 PM

I just found out there is an apple script. I bought a book on it [by Soghoian & Cheeseman] but I'm still reading the "macs for beginners" books while I wait for my mac to arrive.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

Here's a couple more things you might want to look at while you're waiting for your Mac.
Switch 101 Migrate to Mac
Mac 101 Get started with the Mac

EDIT: Oops! I didn't read the title. Sorry. :blink:
This might help you better than the above links.
Introduction to AppleScript Language Guide

Edited by Buddyme2, 13 August 2010 - 05:48 AM.

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:40 AM

Thanks Buddyme2 for the links. I'm reading switch 101 now.

The applescript articles are mostly over my head at this point. I did learn that TextEdit and that carbon and cocoa applications are scriptable. I just don't know what carbon and cocoa applications are at this point. I recognize "carbon" and "cocoa" as terms from the little bit I've read about mac os architecture and I think they are sort of like programming interfaces for mac application authors. I bookmarked the script articles for later.

I use the macro feature of Word and the macros I recorded constantly, so I'm planning at this point to run Word 2003 in a virtualization program w/ winxp as the guest os. Since Word for mac doesn't support visual basic. I'd prefer to find a mac-compatible program that had that capability and if iWork could be scripted I 'd switch over from reading the VirtualBox manual to reading my applescript book and iWork help. I don't know how people who use word processors a lot get by w/out being able to script repetitive tasks, but apparently most of the rest of the world does.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

Cocoa is one of the five mac API's. Carbon is another API. see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_%28API%29

As for not using macros which i do not use, I either use templates or just repeat manually. But that is just me.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:58 AM

thanks for the link computerxpds. It's still over my head, but I read it and later on when I have time to read on the mac os architecture and on programming it will make more sense. Meanwhile I learned about the Toolbox and that the mac os doesn't [or didn't] use virtual memory.

I word process a lot and I use tables in word a lot. I have word set up so I can select a table, add rows, delete rows all w/ quick key combos. Saves me lots of time. Trying to insert and format a table in iWork drove me quickly crazy yesterday.
When I transfer text from a text file to a word doc and the sentences are split by end paragraphs I can replace the end paragraphs w/ "space, delete" by just highlighting and clicking a toolbar button. I've got a macro to remove hyperlinks, one for Title Caps, and one to format a table. It's just what you use a wp for and whether you are quicker w/ a mouse or a keyboard. I would just think there would be more computer users like me who use word's toolbar and macro customizations and who also want the reliability of a mac. Maybe they all know how to apple script.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

Well I am a mac buff and as you may have heard I have my collection of macs and as of yet I have not even tryied to explore scripts or anything involving the mac api's, I am more a hardware person and also I can diagnos most softeware issues with mac but not programing. But I guess you bring up a valid point with using macros and having those. Hey since you have your new mac you should add it to your siggy. :blink:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:17 PM

iWork is skimpy on toolbar buttons and not very customizable. No idea yet if it's scriptable. For writing letters it's fine. For research and doing lists and tables it's too slow.

Looks like I'm going to have to use Word in a VM and I sincerely hope it actually works that way. Right now I'm slogging my way thru the VirtualBox manual and then I have to read about ParallelDesktops and figure out which to try, how they work and how to set them up. Then I have to install the VM, then [shudder] install winxp in the vm, then finally install word.

OpenOrg's word processor might be a possibility down the road if I can learn to script that.

I updated my signature. Thanks for the reminder.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

Well glad to see you are getting around well on the new mac and yes I see that you updated your siggy. You should be or with VB (virtual box). How are you liking the mac os x platform so far? :blink:
sigcomp.png 

#9 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

I'm still learning my way around the mac and I haven't gotten it set up yet to where I'm actually using it. But I think I'm going to really like the dock and the dashboard. So much better than the Start Menu and shortcuts on the desktop that never stay put so I can find them quickly - the whole point of shortcuts. I made my own mini-doc on my pc's by dragging my most used programs into the quick launch area of the taskbar, so the dock and I were immediate friends.

I really liked having the option to purchase the extended warranty and the one on one sessions. I was impressed by how easy it is to change screen resolution and how easy it was to connect to the router, the internet and my pc. I'm having some problems w/ too small font/icons w/ the high resolution screen, but finder let me choose a larger font and icon size, a lot of the help functions let me choose larger fonts and the control + scroll zoom works on things like system profiler. I did have to lower the resolution to make the font in the main menu bar larger.

I made the big switch for system stability and security so when I get frustrated learning all the new keyboard shortcuts, how to do things and where things are I just remember that on my pc I am currently getting repeated acs.exe error messages, checkdisk won't run, device manager won't open and there is some "run a dll as an app" problem - none of which problems I've been able to resolve. I just did an os reinstall not too long ago and I dread having to do one again -it takes forever doing the 80+ updates for winxp, re-installing all my programs and updating them. Burning a CD is always iffy. Networking is iffy. Plus I have some unknown administrator SIDs that I don't know the significance or lack of significance of - despite all the time reading and the money I've put into securing my little lan of pcs I was never confident it was secure.

Once I'm thru the learning/re-learning phase I expect to spend more time using my mac than troubleshooting it.

Sorry you asked?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

Sorry you asked?

I'm not sorry at all I think it is great that you have a very very good reason for switching. Many people other than me hate mac users because they think that that person with the mac is stuck up or is showing off their millions of dollar. All me and you and every other mac user are is a bunch of people that are sick and tired of Microsoft. :) I am glad I asked.. Plus if you need anything explained to you all you have to do is ask here and buddyme2 or I or any other member will help you! :) Yeah at least you have a new mac I'm stuck here with 10 microsoft laptops and 1 powermac G4 that doesnt like me and apparently has a death wish. :wacko: :blink:
sigcomp.png 

#11 bailey2007player

bailey2007player

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:55 AM

iWork is skimpy on toolbar buttons and not very customizable. No idea yet if it's scriptable. For writing letters it's fine. For research and doing lists and tables it's too slow.

Looks like I'm going to have to use Word in a VM and I sincerely hope it actually works that way. Right now I'm slogging my way thru the VirtualBox manual and then I have to read about ParallelDesktops and figure out which to try, how they work and how to set them up. Then I have to install the VM, then [shudder] install winxp in the vm, then finally install word.

OpenOrg's word processor might be a possibility down the road if I can learn to script that.

I updated my signature. Thanks for the reminder.

or you can buy Microsoft Office for Mac i use MS Office for mac and iWork

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users