Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Office

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 koolkev

koolkev

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

Guys i need some help. About 4 months ago I installeda trial beta version of Microsoft office 2010, I had not had any problems until Saturday. I was opening a file and I recieved an error message, that said " that was problem opening the reuested file, and I needed to uninstall the product and re-install. When I tried to re -install, I recieved an eroor message that said I now needed to update the "Click to Run version that is currently installed. Well I cannot find anywhere that such an update is available. When I called Microsoft the sent me to their Digital River support, which sent me a link to reinstall the office product. Of course it finishes the downlaod and then an eroor messgae pops up and says "Microsoft office 2010 does not support upgrading form a "prelease"version of 2010" I have some critcal files that I can no longer access......can some one jhelp me get this to work, Thanks so much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

Did Digital River send you a full download to reinstall the product? If so, you could tell by the size of the download, you could uninstall the version you have on your machine, run a cleaner to remove leftover Office files, and then reinstall from the DR download. You would not remove your document files.

Office 2010 seems to be a bit sensitive to program conflicts. If you can reinstall, make sure as much as possible is closed and/or disabled.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:01 PM

<<I have some critcal files that I can no longer access......>>

Data files created by any application...are not impacted by the expiration/uninstallation of said application...I've never seen such. Sooo...whether Office works or not is immaterial, you can move your files.

As for opening/accessing such...I would suggest that you visit the Microsoft site and look for viewers.

Office 2010 Beta Info.

Louis

#4 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

I would try to uninstall Office completely using add/remove programs in the control panel. After that try using a different viewer like openoffice and see if your files will open. You can get it from http://www.openoffice.org/ for free.

If you files open with that then they are in tact and you are just having an issue with your ms office trial software. It has a built in window of use so it has probably expired. Reinstallation of the expired trial software won't extend the trial as windows remembers your previous installation.

If openoffice works and you still want to use microsoft, then you should be able to install a full version of ms office, but only if the trial has been uninstalled.

#5 koolkev

koolkev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

Hey thanks to all 4 the help. I was able to download the Open office application and it did the trick. I think I might stay away from the Microsoft 2010 version until I am sure they have all the bugs worked out.....Thanks again

#6 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:33 AM

well I'm using 2010 with no issues. Were you trying to install a full version of it after removing the trial? If you were trying to install trial over or after trial then it won't work. If you were trying to install full over trial then I'm not sure but it might not work still. Best thing is to officially uninstall the old, then try installing a full version of 2010. If you are messing around with trials and whatnot though, just stick with the openoffice. It's free so you save money and don't have to monkey around :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users