Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Urge: Compare to My Current

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 919 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

I currently own an HP Pavillion DV5-1000US notebook computer. It is a good machine, although I miss the sleek design of my prior Sony! I have had the HP for a year or two. Would I greatly improve my computing abilities by getting a new, more up to date laptop?

Here is a link to what the HP has:
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavilio...g=mncolBtm;rnav

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TimYH

TimYH

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:24 PM

What do you normally use your laptop for? Are you looking for a faster Office / Work computer? Entertainment? Video Editing? Gaming? Form has to meet function, so if you give us a few hints as to what you use it for, it'll help us choose you a new computer.

Looking at the setup you provided, this laptop seems pretty decent for basic tasks such as internet browsing, word processing, and basic media functions. The only drawback I see is the HD is 5400RPM which is a tad slow nowadays. You might want some extra oomph there if you decide to upgrade. I doubt you are using it for any gaming because the integrated Intel graphics are absolutely horrible. Other than that the notebook seems pretty solid.
I like to think I know a bit about computers, I apologize if my advice is not sound or clear. I try my best to give good answers.

Line of Defense
aVast! | Comodo | Malwarebytes

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 919 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:52 AM

Thanks, Tim, for the reply.

I use my notebook as an all around machine. I use if for work (Word, Outlook, Excel, etc). I use if for interenet browsing. Increasingly, I use it for watching videos. And, it has my music in iTunes. I don't play video games.

Frankly, I don't know that I need a new machine, I'm simply curious if mine is pathetically out of date. It sounds like it isn't.

#4 toop4

toop4

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:51 PM

Of course you can improve on getting a new laptop... But from what I read, you don't need to. If you have the money, you could. But this laptop seems fine for basic computing.

If you're not going to play video games, you really don't need one, unless you want to help out the economy! :blink:

So from what I've read, you don't need one.

Hope this helped.

#5 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 919 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

Thanks, all. Now I can blow money on something else!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users