Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add Remove Program does not populat

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 travel time

travel time

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

I have windows xp professional. I have run all updates and downloads. I have tried to find an answer online for the past four hours with no help. When you click on add/remove programs the box says to please wait while the list is being populated. Then nothing happens. It is just a white box and I have let it sit for hours to see if anything would come up to no avail. Please help this computer has been nothing but problems from day one. Some of the tries included: sfc/scannow, regsvr32 appwiz.cpl, regsvr32 mshtml.dll, regsvr32 shdocvw.dll-i, and regsvr32 shell32.dll-i. I have located the HKEY Uninstall files but do not see anything amongst the hundreds of files that did not look like something which was loaded. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Any other apparent system anomalies?

Try running the chkdsk /r command?

Louis

#3 travel time

travel time
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:00 PM

Sorry, this has me so tied up. It is a HP/Compaq dc7900, version 2002, service pack 3, with windows xp professional, microsoft office 2007 and no new software items added except the updates from windows.

#4 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:58 PM

Try regsvr32 %windir%\system32\appmgr.dll

If that doesn’t work, a quick search found a page someone fixed it with IEFix.

If that doesn’t work… I’ve experienced a similar thing with the JoneSoft Uninstall Cleaner, but never (as far as I can recall) with the built-in Add/Remove applet, however it could be the same cause: a corrupt/badly-formed uninstall entry in the registry.

What I usually do in that case is to run Sysinternal’s RegMon to monitor the registry accesses that the applet makes. Then I can find any errors and manually fix them.
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users