Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox remembering login details

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bastie

Bastie

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:43 AM

In Firefox 2.0.0.20 (the latest version that will work in WinMe), the username and password for Virgin WEBMAIL is prompted, but the identical information for an identical login form for Virgin Broadband USAGE is NOT prompted; and the settings for REMEMBERING the login details are ineffective FOR THIS SITE. I have tracked differences between these sites to differences in 'Page Info' in Firefox's Tools menu, but I cannot change the Page Info for USAGE to be the same as for WEBMAIL.
I have failed to trigger login details prompting by 'artificially' adding them to the stored passwords list. Can someone help me make Firefox prompt the login details for Usage as it does for Webmail ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:41 PM

Have you checked here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mozilla_Firefox

On a side note, not sure if you are aware but your OS hasn't been supported for over 4 years. No security patches or updates or anything. I would highly recommend getting a new computer, especially if you are connecting to the internet.

#3 Bastie

Bastie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:36 PM

Thank you for the URL. I KNOW that M$ has abandoned WinMe. However, it suits me to continue with it. I do have and use WinXP when WinMe is not up to it, but apart from the versatility of WinMe (can run from any PC, even though it was not installed on that), I do get a lot of satisfaction from 'perfecting' it, since there is such a wealth of experience with WinMe out there that I can tap into NOW, but could not when WinMe was current. It does an excellent job for me on MOST tasks I want done.

Edited by Bastie, 11 August 2010 - 10:49 PM.

#4 Bastie

Bastie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:48 PM

I have now checked the URL you gave, and it contained a relevant option : "remember password - Makes the browser ignore web site requests to not remember passwords." However the working of the bookmarklet (as it is called) is contingent on "your browser should offer to remember the password". THAT does NOT happen for the USAGE website which is at issue. Thank you anyway.

Edited by Bastie, 11 August 2010 - 10:49 PM.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:56 PM

Give Remember Password a try:
Form Bookmarklets

Third one from the bottom, on the list.
Just click it, hold, and drag it to your Bookmarks Toolbar.

Some sites, including many banks and a few other sites such as Yahoo Mail and Microsoft Passport, tell browsers not to remember passwords for visitors using autocomplete="off". This bookmarklet makes the browser ignore autocomplete="off" temporarily, allowing you to save passwords even on sites that use autocomplete="off".

Use this bookmarklet just before submitting the form with your password in it. When you submit the form, your browser should offer to remember the password (as if the site didn't use autocomplete="off"); click "Yes". Once your browser has your password stored, it will ignore autocomplete="off", so you won't have to use the bookmarklet each time you visit the site.

This bookmarklet only works on sites that use autocomplete="off" to prevent your browser from remembering passwords. If the site uses another method to break your browser's password manager, such as having two password fields or submitting the form using JavaScript, this bookmarklet won't help.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:25 PM

Thank you for the URL. I KNOW that M$ has abandoned WinMe. However, it suits me to continue with it. I do have and use WinXP when WinMe is not up to it, but apart from the versatility of WinMe (can run from any PC, even though it was not installed on that), I do get a lot of satisfaction from 'perfecting' it, since there is such a wealth of experience with WinMe out there that I can tap into NOW, but could not when WinMe was current. It does an excellent job for me on MOST tasks I want done.

I have now checked the URL you gave, and it contained a relevant option : "remember password - Makes the browser ignore web site requests to not remember passwords." However the working of the bookmarklet (as it is called) is contingent on "your browser should offer to remember the password". THAT does NOT happen for the USAGE website which is at issue. Thank you anyway.

I'll also add that Mozilla stopped supporting all versions of Firefox 2.0 two years ago. You are running applications and an operating system that haven't been patched in years. You are using it to browse the web. That's an extreme security risk. I hope you aren't doing any banking on that computer.

#7 Bastie

Bastie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:38 AM

JonM33
It's going on for two year that I have had broadband access on this WinMe machine. I have been doing banking and other financial transactions through Firefox2.0.0.20 on it without the slightest hitch (so far).

tq1911
I cannot understand your instructions.
The quote you have provided says specifically that 'it' will work since "your browser should offer to remember the password". I've already written that FOR THIS SITE OF VIRGIN USAGE, the browser does NOT offer to remember the password, although I have seen that prompt for many other sites. THAT site is NOT in the 'exceptions' either.
I did try the 'remember password' technique, but it improved nothing.

Edited by Bastie, 12 August 2010 - 08:16 AM.

#8 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:16 AM

Bastie, it's not the point of whether you visually see anything. The point is that is is years of using software with security holes and vulnerabilities that you CAN'T see.

Mozilla themselves highly recommend NOT using Firefox 2.0.0.20.

#9 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:37 AM

For security reasons Virgin does not remember passwords on Firefox. They used to but since they changed the security system about 2-3 months ago you have to sign in everytime.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#10 Bastie

Bastie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:36 AM

For security reasons Virgin does not remember passwords on Firefox. They used to but since they changed the security system about 2-3 months ago you have to sign in everytime.

It is only the Usage logon ID that is not remembered - for the much more 'sensitive' Webmail, the details ARE remembered and prompted - that is ironic as well as dangerous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users