Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sleep Takes Long Timea

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ratm

ratm

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

I just got an HP Envy 14 and the time it takes to fall asleep seems really long, up to 12 seconds sometimes. It is just annoying when I want to just throw it in my back pack but am scared if it doesn't fall asleep it will just sit there frying pretty much.

Any suggestions to speed up the sleep time?

I am almost certain some program or service is slowing it down I just don't even know where to begin to look though.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:37 AM

If it is a new computer, it may have allot of bloatware loading and running in the background.

Download Autoruns or just run it from the website, post what is under Logon, and we'll see if we can help you figure out what needs to be running at startup and what not.

Do Not uncheck anything in any columns except Logon and Internet Explorer.

Edited by AustinTerry, 11 August 2010 - 11:38 AM.

#3 ratm

ratm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

I did do a minimized system recovery right when I got the computer which got rid of just about all of the bloatware.

I downloaded Autoruns, how should I post the information? A save file or type it all out? Is the anything in a save file I shouldn't be sharing or something lol?

#4 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:43 PM

I downloaded Autoruns, how should I post the information? A save file or type it all out? Is the anything in a save file I shouldn't be sharing or something lol?

whichever you prefer... mainly just need to now what is under the Logon tab.
Hopefully there is not a big list...

Haven't tried it yet with Autoruns, but you might be able to highlight the entries, and copy and paste...

#5 ratm

ratm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:42 AM

I wish there was just a copy paste but nope lol, there isn't too much though, I stay on top of what is starting up really.

I just realized I can do a screen shot though, so I'll post that.
Posted Image

#6 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:39 AM

Actually you can look through Bleeping's Startup database, and type in each program on your list and hopefully it will tell you what the program does and if it is necessary at startup.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

Of course you want to keep your wireless and your antivirus (MSSE). You can be safe unchecking the first one, rdpclip, since the original file is gone.

Check the startup database, and you can decide what you want to keep running. The majority I see is unnecessary at startup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users