Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No AGP Aperture Size in AwardBIOS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Need_Help

Mr_Need_Help

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:07 AM

I have a Sony All-in-One Desktop. It originally had 512MB RAM. Another 512MB of RAM was added to it. Now, I want to use some of that RAM for the Video Memory.

So, through my research, I should simply goto BIOS and change the AGP aperture size, right? However, I can not find this in the BIOS Utility.

I looked around for updating BIOS, but it's too risky as I cannot find anything on Sony's website. I heard that some people who also have Award BIOS unlocked the hidden options by pressing "Ctrl+F1", which also failed. Please help!

This is what I can find:

BIOS Type: Award
BIOS Date: September 18th 2003
BIOS ID: 09/18/2003-SiS651-PIZZA-None
BIOS OEM: ACPI BIOS Revision 1003 - ACPI BIOS Revision 1003
Chipset: SiS 651 rev 2
SuperIO: Unknown
Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
Motherboard: PCV-V100G

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:11 AM

I don't really see how there would be an "AGP Aperture Size" option for an integrated graphics chipset as it always uses system memory anyway.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:47 AM

For most onboard graphics chipsets there is an option in the BIOS to set the video memory. I remember Dell Optiplex desktops having this option in the BIOS. It usually ranges from 1MB to 128MB (at most). It is not the same as AGP Aperture Size. That goes way back to legacy motherboards with AGP slots where you could define some physical memory to be allocated in case your AGP graphics card runs out of video memory.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,793 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:01 AM

The PCV-V100G utilises a fixed 32MB of system RAM as Shared Graphics Memory. AGP Aperture size is not related to this.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Mr_Need_Help

Mr_Need_Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:53 PM

So, there's no way to increase the video memory?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:54 PM

Install a physical card, if you have a free slot.

In reality, that's probably a better alternative than taking RAM from installed system memory.

Louis

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,793 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

I can't find anything to give any hope. The SIS 651 can have maximum 64MB allocation. Sony simply state the system specification as 32MB Graphics Memory, if there was any alternative it can only be 64MB at most, and is controlled by the BIOS. Considering the graphics performance of that chip is very limited anyway, there's probably little benefit to be gained from more video memory.

In theory, a BIOS update could have been issued to change the allocation to 64MB, but being Sony, I have little expectation they would ever have done that. There is no BIOS update shown on Sony support for the model:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=PCVV100G
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users