Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Painfully Slow Start Up / Boot Time is 60 minutes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ScottMe

ScottMe

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:28 PM

My hard disk light remains full on (solid) lit when my pc laptop goes through its startup sequence.
I run MagicJack telephone and Avast AntiVirus Home Edition. I also use a LinkSys router that loads a program on start up.

I cannot use the pc while the light is full on. Response time is painfully slow, for example, to minimize the softphone GUI for magicjack can take 4 to 5 minutes to respond. If I try to issue commands to open files or software, the system bogs down so much that I have to pop the battery out to kill it. After the system has finished doing whatever it is doing (60 minutes), I can use it just fine. I have noticed an emulation problem with the display, where images remain behind when or as an application is closed. For example, I can close Excel and spreadsheet grid lines will paint over the magicjack softphone GUI while it is shutting down.

I know the system is doing something during this time because occassionally the hour glass will pop up on my cursor and stay up for a minute or so and then go off. Also, of course, the antivirus program is looking for updates and magicjack is doing whatever it does.....So all I can think of is that it is getting in its own way, competing for resources, bumping up against itself, etc. instead of following an orderly boot process.

It is an older machine, but it still plugs away. I have a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 with 480 MB of RAM and a 35 GB hard drive about 50% full.

Anyway, it is frustrating having to wait a full hour before using my computer.

I saw one or two of your recommendations about maintaining your computer and I do most of what you recommend.

PLEASE NOTE: the machine works ok if I let it go through this 60 minute start up interval; I just want to get the start up time down to a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

Holly Molly....60 minutes? Gawk!!

Let's start with some basic troubleshooting.

1) Please give us the make and model of your computer and more details on the system specs.
2) What operating system are you running?

Once your system is up and running OK, please do the following:

Click Start, Run and type in "msconfig" without the quotes.
Select the Services tab and check the "Hide all Microsoft Services" box.
On the same tab, select "Disable All".
Now go to the Startup tab and select "Disable All"

Click Apply, then OK. It will ask you to reboot the computer to apply the settings.

How long does it take to boot your computer now?

Please respond with answers to the above questions, so we can continue with the next steps.

:thumbsup:

#3 ScottMe

ScottMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:19 PM

I did the msconfig changes and boot up as suggested.
Boot time was less than 5 minutes.

I get a similar results when I disconnect my internet connection (comcast cable)
and unplug my magicjack.

running windows xp professional 2002 svc pack 3
running on a winbook J4P (laptop; built by micro center; micro center is a big box retailer)
2.4 GHz Pentium 4 with 480 MB of RAM and a 35 GB hard drive about 50% full.
I do not run a lot of apps other than ms excel, word, comcast email
I have several apps loaded but I rarely use them

Thanks again

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

I did the msconfig changes and boot up as suggested.
Boot time was less than 5 minutes.

I get a similar results when I disconnect my internet connection (comcast cable)
and unplug my magicjack.

So, are you saying:
- with the MSCONFIG instructions, your boot time is 5 minutes?
- without the MSCONFIG, your boot time is 5 minutes if you disconnect your magicjack and internet connection?

Please confirm if you did both of these independently.

Please do the following:

Click Start, then Run and type "cmd" in the box without the quotes. This will open up a command prompt.

Copy & paste the following text in bold in the command window, then hit Enter.
wmic startup get caption,command > c:\StartupApps.txt

In the root of your C: drive, you will find the StartupApps.txt file. Open it, highlight the text and copy & paste it into your next reply.
**Note, that if your Windows drive is a letter other than "C", change it to the appropriate letter in the command above.

Close the command window by typing Exit.

Also, what type of Computer System requirements are suggested for Magicjack? Make sure you meet the minimum requirements.

2.4 GHz Pentium 4 with 480 MB of RAM and a 35 GB hard drive about 50% full

You definitely need more RAM. Check with your Motherboard or Computer manufacturer on the type of RAM to purchase. These days, the standard is 3 to 4GB of RAM. XP will run on 512MB, but I would upgrade to at least 1GB or perhaps 2GB for Windows XP. You'll have to check to see how many slots you have and what modules can go in there.

Finally, please do the following:

Go to a Command prompt and type:

chkdsk c: /f /r

It will tell you that it cannot perform the action and you need to reboot. Please do so and run the tool. It may take a while (up to 30 minutes for your drive size). When it's complete, it should reboot. Keep an eye open to see if any errors or bad sectors were found.

:thumbsup:

#5 ScottMe

ScottMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

IN RESPONSE TO:

"So, are you saying:
- with the MSCONFIG instructions, your boot time is 5 minutes?
- without the MSCONFIG, your boot time is 5 minutes if you disconnect your magicjack and internet connection?

Please confirm if you did both of these independently."

YES, I did the MSCONFIG instructions and the boot time was 5 minutes.

Independently, and done many times for conveniences sake, the boot time of 5 minutes was achieved by disconnecting magicjack and internet connections.

I am going to execute the wmic startup get caption,command > c:\StartupApps.txt
as suggested and will let you know the results forthwith.

Thank you for looking into my problem.
I apologize for the long delays in between but time is elusive................

Edited by ScottMe, 18 September 2010 - 04:31 PM.

#6 ScottMe

ScottMe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:45 PM

HERE IS THE CONTENT of the "StartupApps.txt file"
I did a search for the "desktop.ini" file: the search found 149 files.

Caption Command
desktop desktop.ini
DWQueuedReporting "c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t
ctfmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
sqpxigwm C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Local Settings\Application Data\jpoquqnpl\tuhcowjtssd.exe
cdloader "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Application Data\mjusbsp\cdloader2.exe" MAGICJACK
Google Update "C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
desktop desktop.ini
DWQueuedReporting "c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t
avast! C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
Windows Defender "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
SunJavaUpdateSched "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
SiS Tray C:\WINDOWS\System32\sistray.EXE
PCTVOICE pctspk.exe
nmctxth "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmctxth.exe"
LELA "C:\Program Files\Linksys\Linksys EasyLink Advisor\Linksys EasyLink Advisor.exe" /minimized
BluetoothAuthenticationAgent "rundll32.exe" irprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users