Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing new video card

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mute20

mute20

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:20 PM

I have tried to try to get my new video card 5570 sapphire 1gb to work ,but it isn't. I am getting no image when I connect it to my monitor and am putting my dieing artifacting card in to try to find a solution. I have uninstalled all nvidia drivers in safe mode with driver sweeper. When I put my new card in there is no information sent to the monitor so it is just blank as if the computer wasn't on. The card is getting power since I can hear it blowing at like 100% the whole time there s no image on the scree. I have been trying to find the integrated graphics (ati 200 xpress) in the bios and device manager ,but I see no sign of it. I have a 939 socket board need help

When I turn the computer on either the fans on the cpu becomes very loud and I have to hard boot and sometimes that doesn't work so I have to unplug the power cord. When this happens the fan seems to spin up and down every 1-2 seconds. The bios has a toggle for either pci/pci-e / onbaord obviously I am on pci-e.

The fan thing I think is the key to the answer. Only with the 5570 plugged in does the cpu fan go full power for as long as the computer is on with no image.

Edited by mute20, 11 August 2010 - 12:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:23 AM

Motherboard or system specifics? Manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 mute20

mute20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...ectID=c00572530

Here is a link to the item only changes I have made is with the ram (3 gigs now), dvd drive and the video card).

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

That's an Asus board made for HP, Motherboard Name: A8AE-LE, with an HP BIOS.

I'd take a look at the BIOS screens again...there should be something in there for disabling/adjusting the onboard video.

I don't know...but if neither the onboard, nor the old card, nor the new card work...it could be the board, IMO.

The fact that you seem to have fan issues...suggests to me that what you describe as artifacting....may have been due to overheating.

Let's see what those with more experience think :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 mute20

mute20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

Think I will write down what is on bios since some of it is a bit out of my area

#6 mute20

mute20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

These are what are the only things that I could see as possibly being the on board. These might not be the right names since my image has a tone of artifacts on it regardless of how long my computer is off not predictable when it will go back to normal if it even does( old card).

Underline is one that it is currently on

1.Plug and play os Y/N
Primary adapter on board/ pci/ pci-e
2.1394 device support Enabled / dis
Usb legacy support Auto/enab/dis
On board lan Enabl / disable
Bus IDE adapter Both/Primary/Secondary/Disable

I have tried changing the ones with numbers to no effect

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

Primary adapter should be "onboard" if you attempt to use the onboard..."pci" if you are using a PCI video card in a PCI slot...PCI-e if you are using a PCI-e card in the appropriate slot.

Louis

#8 mute20

mute20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

I don't understand why you posted that that did not do anything for me. That is pretty obvious what each does I already said I had pci-e already enabled.....

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

Well...if your onboard works when 'onboard" is selected...and/or your PCI works when such is installed properly...then I'd say that your card is suspect.

If you want to ignore that possibility...then I'd say that your PCI-e slot/motherboard could be damaged. You can test the card itself by simply installing it on a known working system with a PCI-e slot.

Louis

#10 mute20

mute20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

Ok so I tried using the on board ,but I get to the screen after the windows loading stuff finishes and it is just a black screen and then the screen gets no image like when the 5570 is connected except the fans don't go wacky. Also I do not have another computer to test the video card. Now I was wondering why the 5570 doesn't work and my old busted card still works.

Edited by mute20, 11 August 2010 - 06:25 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

It's beyond my ken...wait for some input from the real hardware personnel here, they can give you better guidance than I can.

Louis

#12 mute20

mute20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

Thx for the help not gonna lie when I got home yesterday I wasn't expecting to have this much trouble with this card. Seriously I have never had this much trouble with a computer since getting infected with a nasty rootkit and had to pay for new system recovery discs since my last one out of 5 was messed up.

I might just try exchanging this card for a cheaper nvidia if I cant figure this problem soon.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:45 PM

I have checked your product information but failed to find any specs on what the maximum output is of your PSU.

Can you please post that information so we can determine if your PSU is not capable of powering up your video card?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#14 mute20

mute20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:02 PM

Ok so the power supply is about 300w I have already had some people help me out on the upgrade forums the card only pulls about 40w of power since it doesn't require any aditional power. I have already looked into this with the reviews where people with 220w who are able to run the card for extraneous uses. Why would the fans in my case go crazy when my card be going crazy non stop just cause of this new card?

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:24 PM

Okay what you're describing is your processor's cooling fan is reving up when this video card is installed, this would be an indication that your processor is getting warmer than normal and your system BIOS is probably set to allow the system to control the processor cooling fan and thus it is increasing the fan speed. That is the only thing I can think of as to why your processor cooling fan is increasing in speed.

As for your video card issue, is this video card a new card, in other words is this the first system it has been used on? I am asking because I am just curious if this video card may have suffered damage while it was used in another computer.

There is a possibility this card is defective or there is a problem with the slot on the motherboard.

Have you ever used this slot before? And if so, did you have any problems with any hardware that was installed in the slot before?

Just trying to help you do a process of elimination here.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 11 August 2010 - 11:24 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users