Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet gateway enabled and only connected to router

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mrm0rgan

mrm0rgan

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:23 PM

i noticed just a few hours ago that i have some internet gateway enabled and i cant get rid of it. if i disable it i can't connect to internet. their shouldnt be anybody connected to me or i to them i should only be connected to the wireless router. ive tried to uninstall my wireless adapter and the damn I.G. pops back up after i connect. :thumbsup: its slowing me down. one other laptop wirelessly connects to the router but that lap top is off as for the moment so there should be nobody but i connected. all in all it says im connecting to another computer to the wireless router. does not make any sense at all. if somebody could shed some light on this i would appreciate it thanks...............................oh im running xp pro and im using a belkin G+ mimo wireless adapter if that helps

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:33 PM

If you use a router...that's your "gateway".

Disabling it should eliminate your Internet connection.

Some motherboards/systems show both the router and the local connection/modem connection...some show only the modem connection.

Louis

#3 mrm0rgan

mrm0rgan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

thanks for the response that makes perfect sense. but one more question cause this does not make sense, atleast not to me. im connected now im evan downloading a torrent, yet in my connections folder and in my task bar the internet gateway is not there today, well atleast for the hour ive been online. thats what i dont understand. why does it show up somedays and somedays it does'nt??? just makes me think i got some sort of trojan or something.......thanks.

#4 mrm0rgan

mrm0rgan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:18 PM

well now its been about 15 minutes since the last reply and the internet gateway just popped up

-------------------------------------------

"Strange indeed that we should not have suspected that our universe and its contents were only dreams, visions, fiction! Strange because they are so frankly and hysterically insane - like all dreams!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

My router (on this system) and the local connection (NIC) show up when I click the Network Connections icon via Control Panel...I can see the same thing by clcking Start/Connect To.

I don't elect to see it in the Task Bar (not useful info, my connection is broadband, always on). But I can enable it to be shown there by right-clicking on respective icon and putting a check mark in the appropriate box.

Not sure what Connections folder you are referring to, I've never seen that.

Louis

#6 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:46 AM

Methinks you've installed the UPnP support, probably through some program or optional update you installed. The Gateway icon shows up in the system tray? It's harmless, but you can installer UPnp from the "Add Remove Windows Components" portion of the Add/Remove programs applet in the control panel. You don't need it, but it won't do you any harm either.

Edited by CohenTheBarbarian, 12 August 2010 - 01:47 AM.

#7 mrm0rgan

mrm0rgan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:16 AM

thanks for your help i think i enabled that but like ya said its not hurting anything so i will just deal with it ..................lates :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users