Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Let's Swap Links...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lily Livered

Lily Livered

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 05:04 PM

Hi, I just added a link for the wonderful Bleeping Computer to my website...a family history site. I have two questions (and probably am not posting them where they belong?, apologies if so):

How do I make a link open in a new window instead of in the same window where the clickable link is located?

and

Where do I find the list of BC members' websites; I'm interested in having a peek to see if I can learn anything? My site is pretty amateurish, written in html only, but I'm still proud to have created it all by my wittle self!

Thanks!!
Dell Inspiron 6000--Mobile Intel Pentium M 730J/1.60GHz--512MB--60 or 80GB HD, can't remember for sure--wireless--XP Home SP2
AVG--ZoneAlarm--Ad-Aware SE--Spybot S&D--SpywareBlaster--SpywareGuard--Ewido--a-squared--CCleaner--HJT--IE and Firefox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 30 October 2005 - 12:03 AM

Point to the link. Right click and select "Open in new window". This will open the link in a new browser window.
And if you want to open a new browser window but no specific site, use Ctrl + N . It will open a new window with the current site.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 01:05 AM

Thanks, acklan, that's a little trick I'd forgotten about!!

How about how to make a link on my site that will open up in a new window? I'm not sure how else to word this.....let me think.....

Okay, say I want a specific link to open in a new window when a site visitor clicks on it, instead of it opening in the same window where they then have to click 'back' to go back to the other page? So they can have the original page open still while the link opens into a new window?

Something similar to the 'true' I've seen in (I think) Javascript....

Gosh, is this coming out right yet??

ETA (later): I think I may have found how to do what I'm trying to accomplish with making your links open in a new window (in html programming)...but I haven't actually tried it yet. I think in your a href tag you have to add rel="nofollow" target="_blank"....right??

Now if someone can point me in the right direction to find BC members' websites....

Edited by Lily Livered, 30 October 2005 - 03:43 AM.

Dell Inspiron 6000--Mobile Intel Pentium M 730J/1.60GHz--512MB--60 or 80GB HD, can't remember for sure--wireless--XP Home SP2
AVG--ZoneAlarm--Ad-Aware SE--Spybot S&D--SpywareBlaster--SpywareGuard--Ewido--a-squared--CCleaner--HJT--IE and Firefox

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:35 PM

Well there 3 at - Resources = member's websites

Edited by boopme, 30 October 2005 - 08:36 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:11 AM

Now if someone can point me in the right direction to find BC members' websites....

:thumbsup: Here ya go. Just a small listing.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=0&#entry185855

I thought that there was another thread....but I guess not.

I looked really hard. Where did it go? lol

Edit: Here it is:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...opic=13197&st=0

Edited by Scarlett, 31 October 2005 - 09:23 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:43 AM

Thank you boopme and Scarlett!! Only 3....out of all these members?!?! Wow!! Okay, going to check them out!

#7 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:03 PM

How about how to make a link on my site that will open up in a new window? I'm not sure how else to word this.....let me think.....

Okay, say I want a specific link to open in a new window when a site visitor clicks on it, instead of it opening in the same window where they then have to click 'back' to go back to the other page? So they can have the original page open still while the link opens into a new window?

Something similar to the 'true' I've seen in (I think) Javascript....

Gosh, is this coming out right yet??

ETA (later): I think I may have found how to do what I'm trying to accomplish with making your links open in a new window (in html programming)...but I haven't actually tried it yet. I think in your a href tag you have to add rel="nofollow" target="_blank"....right??

Correct. <a href="http://mysite.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">www.mysite.com</a>

Sorry for the double-post. My mouse got away from me :thumbsup:

Edited by BanditFlyer, 31 October 2005 - 12:06 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:27 PM

:thumbsup: Here ya go. Just a small listing.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=0&#entry185855

I thought that there was another thread....but I guess not.

I looked really hard. Where did it go? lol

Edit: Here it is:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...opic=13197&st=0

Thanks Scarlett, I had wondered why there were only three listed in the Resourses section.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:12 PM

Thanks, Bandit! I haven't actually had a chance to try it out yet. But I won't forget it!!

Edited by Lily Livered, 31 October 2005 - 08:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users