Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown User Account on Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jvmsl4

jvmsl4

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:08 PM

I use win xp sp3, bitdefender 2010, anti-virus, advanced windows care, malwarebytes, superantispyware, and ccleaner. I ran a bitdefender vulnerability scan and the results listed a user as 'IUSR_Your98555BF89E' with a strong password. This user does not appear anywhere on my computer logons or network. Is there a way to identify this user? Bit defender support thinks it is one of the anti spyware programs listed above. I only have one antivirus and I also use commodo firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:24 PM

Some info, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee825205(CS.10).aspx.

Louis

#3 jvmsl4

jvmsl4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:00 AM

"Anonymous authentication gives users access to the public areas of your Web site without prompting them for a user name or password. When a user attempts to connect to your public Web site, your Web server assigns the user to the Windows user account called IUSR_<computername>, where <computername> is the name of the server on which IIS is running."

I'm not sure I understand this. I do not have a publilc web site and I do not run a server I do use a D-Link wireless router for my two daughters to log on with their laptops. If this was the cause wouldn't there be two 'users' one for each computer? when they are not logged on the user account mentioned in my initial post still shows up. I disabled the 'Guest' account and it still shows up in a vulnerability check.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:20 AM

I'm not familiar with Bit Defender software and just what significance their 'vulnerability checks' might have.

If I used such software, I would review the documentation for such and possibly review their FAQ and their forum for explanations.

The link was provided as some info on the IUSR phenomenon, although it seems related to IIS (which is not normally an issue on XP Home).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Information_Services

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users