Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"ping" and "tracert" commands time out.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BlindingLink333

BlindingLink333

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

Hello all,

I have a machine here that cannot use the ping or tracert commands successfully. Strange thing is, the internet connectivity is not having any issues. There is no router involved. I CAN ping to 127.0.0.1, same goes for tracert. but any requests to outside IP's "Time out". :thumbsup:

I have seen similar issues before, and with quick research on Google (With Ping not working and internet also not working, or ping working but not internet... etc.) But the only thing I found relevant to this issue had the resolution of "Turn off your firewall / Configure your windows firewall to allow IMCP requests... etc.

The only installed firewall is windows firewall, and it is currently completely disabled. The ICMP settings though do concern me. "Allow incoming echo requests" is checked (and cannot be unchecked), with no other options selected.

Any help / advice? The machine is: Windows XP Pro SP3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:10 PM

If nothing is blocking the PING.exe on your computer, and no router is involved then I would suspect your ISP. Some ISP block ICMP to protect against DoS attacks.

Edited by Romeo29, 10 August 2010 - 05:13 PM.

#3 BlindingLink333

BlindingLink333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for the advice, but I believe we have singled out the issue. Thanks for your concerns.

#4 Just Trying My Best

Just Trying My Best

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for the advice, but I believe we have singled out the issue. Thanks for your concerns.

Hi BlindingLink333,

If you have resolved this, can you share the fix?
Danno

PC--Lenovo ThinkCentre M52, Processor--Pentium 4 3.00GHz, Memory--512MB DDR-2, MB--IBM with Intel I945P/PL/G/GZ Chipset
Drive--WD800JD-08LSA0 Sata, Video--Intel 82945G OnBoard, Network--Bell Wireless DSL Modem/Router
OS--Windows XP Professional SP3, Browser--IE 8, Email--Outlook 2002 SP3, Anti-Virus--Bell Internet Secturity Service

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users