Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Working too hard, Loud CPU Fan even after replacing thermal paste

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Synchrotron

Synchrotron

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

Hello there,

I'm having some problems with my computer in that the fan seems to be working excessively, or the CPU is working "too hard" / heating up regularly, when only one major process is running.

I initially thought this was due to the thermal compound on the heatsink but have replaced that 2 weeks ago.

In a similar way, the CPU actually seems to be working at over 50% and approaching 100% when there are only a couple of programmes running, or a virus scan running. Could this be related to some sort of clash with an external HDD?

Alternatively, could it be due to an incorrect virtual memory allocation/page file usage?

I'm rid of any Malware, so it is a hardware issue, and in the BIOS Hyper-threading is enabled.

If it's due to the CPU being renown for being a "hot" one, are there any after-market heatsinks/coolers that you'd recommend, as the one featured in this article is the one that is currently in place
Link with picture of stock heatsink currently in place

Any input and help is greatly appreciated.

Here is some info on my system obtained from the "System Information for Windows" tool.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
SYSTEM SUMMARY:

Property Value
Manufacturer FUJITSU SIEMENS
Product Name P5GD1-FM
Machine Type AT/AT COMPATIBLE
Infrared (IR) Supported No
DMI System UUID 00020003-00040005-00060007-00080009
UUID 03000200-0400-0500-0006-000700080009

Disk Space Disk C: 103 GB Available, 186 GB Total, 103 GB Free
Disk M: 774 GB Available, 931 GB Total, 774 GB Free

Physical Memory 2048 MB Total, 1320 MB Free
Memory Load 35%

Virtual Memory 3945 MB Total, 3399 MB Free

PageFile Name C:\pagefile.sys
PageFile Size 2047 MB
In use 50 MB
Max used 53 MB
Registry Size 8 MB (current), 119 MB (maximum)

Profile GUID {0e66c440-6bcb-11da-8c14-806d6172696f}

The system clock interval 15 ms

MOTHERBOARD:

Property Value
Manufacturer Fujitsu Siemens
Model P5GD1-FM
Version Rev 1.xx
Serial Number MB-1234567890

North Bridge Intel i915P/i915G Revision B1
South Bridge Intel 82801FB (ICH6) Revision B1

CPU Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Cpu Socket Socket 775 LGA

System Slots 4 PCI

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 4096 MBytes
Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes
Memory Slots 4
Error Correction None

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

Additional Spec:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

If your CPU is constantly running at >50% even when (supposedly) idling, then thatís where you want to focus your efforts. Open the TaskManager, switch to the Performance tab, and select View->Show Kernel Times. Now look at the graph. Is only the green line around 50% (ie, red line is at the bottom), or is the red line up around 50% too?

If only the green line is in the middle, then switch to the Processes tab and click the CPU column to sort by CPU usage. Look at the top (or bottom if you sorted descending) to see which process(es?) is continually using the most.

If the red line is in the middle, then it is probably a service or driver that is sucking cycles. In this case, you should get a copy of Sysinternalsí ProcessExplorer to get a deeper view into whatís causing it.
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#3 Synchrotron

Synchrotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

Using Process Monitor I've acquired these:

I was about to printscreen the initial Process Monitor - Sysinternals screen but that's very long!

On some of the lsass.exe and svchost.exe (where the operation is RegOpenKey and RegQueryvalue) the "result" column not only shows "Success", but also is intersparsed with "Buffer Overflow" and "Name Not Found"

e.g.
Posted Image

The following is a printscreen whilst the fan is quiet, and activity is "normal"
Posted Image

This is whilst a couple of Webpages were open (Cricinfo, Newsnow, which seem to be more "intensive" then other webpages) and the fan is loud
Posted Image

This is whilst Google Earth is first initialised, fan is loud
Posted Image

Edited by Synchrotron, 15 August 2010 - 02:23 PM.

#4 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:07 PM

Did you look at Task Manager? You really need to differentiate between app usage and kernel usage to narrow it down.
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#5 Synchrotron

Synchrotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:27 PM

Did you look at Task Manager? You really need to differentiate between app usage and kernel usage to narrow it down.

Sorry, Yes I did.

This is with a couple of web pages open that seem to be more intense then others (e.g. Cricinfo.com) The fan is very loud.

Posted Image

This is with those same web pages closed, but Chrome still open. The fan is quiet.

Posted Image

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

It appears to me like your CPU needs a little help with keeping its core temperature down, yours is running way too hot even for the type of processor you have.

I have not seen any mention about using thermal grease in this thread, so I am mentioning it now.

About thermal grease. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_grease

As much as I can point you to web sites which explain the process to you, I would prefer that information to be from us here at Bleepingcomputer.

So here goes.

Purchase a tube of good thermal grease, Antec brand formula 5 silver thermal compound is one of the best ones out there.

Warning: Before proceeding with any attempts to repair or modify the inside of any computer, be sure to ground yourself to the computer's metal case before and at all times while you are performing this task.
The human body is capable of storing lethal amounts of static electricity, which is capable of destroying the sensitive electronic components which are located inside a computer.

Please disconnect power supply from AC, power off any external hardware connected to your computer.

Look for the CPU and its heat sink assembly, release any locking latches that hold the heat sink to the CPU socket and carefully set the heat sink and fan assembly aside.

Using a clean link free rag and isopropyl alcohol, lightly dampen a corner of the rag and remove any gray or white grease you see from both the head of the CPU and the bottom of the heat sink.

Be careful not to apply too much pressure when cleaning the processor, because you can stress the motherboard and cause future problems to develop.

If your heat sink has a rubber looking square sticker on it, carefully remove this, this is a cheap ineffective heat transfer medium, it is Okay to have the heat sink sit directly on the processor core.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_pad_(computing)

Once you have cleaned away old paste and removed that poor excuse for a heat transfer rubber sticker, apply a small bead of Antec formula silver 5 to the processor core, lightly and evenly spread the grease out across the CPU head, do not allow the grease to get on the surrounding area of the CPU.

Re-attach the heat sink making sure it is securely locked into place and it is absolutely level, failure to observe this, could result in the processor over-heating.

Re-check everything a second time to be sure something is not over looked.

If all looks well, power up the computer again and recheck your CPU's temperature again, to see if the temperature has come down to a safe level.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 15 August 2010 - 05:48 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 Synchrotron

Synchrotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

Update:

I replaced the cooler with a CNPS9500, and also attached a DBB Antec Tricool fan to the back of the case to exhale air - leaving the setting on "low."

#8 Ryan Pianesi

Ryan Pianesi

• Banned Spammer
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

So is it fixed?

#9 Synchrotron

Synchrotron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:06 PM

So is it fixed?

CPU still seems to fluctuate quite regularly, but it's certainly much quieter, and temperatures seem to be settling around 50 and getting upto a max of 59 which is a marked improvement on 73 before.

#10 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:37 PM

Sorry, Yes I did.

You didnít enable Kernel usage. In the Performance tab of the Task Manager, click the menu View->Show Kernel Times. Now look at the red line in the graph. Where is it?

-- Synetech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users