Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-install of XP????

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kydude69

Kydude69

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

I have a Gateway with Windows XP home installed. I got it sometime around 2001, whenever XP first came out. After about 5 yrs it became so infested with virus' and stuff, I took it to a guy and he said it would be easier to remove XP and re-install. Afterwards my computer ran smoothly, until now...another 4-5 yrs later and it's acting up again. I think I need to re-install my XP again as it's really slow and stuff. I've defragged, disk cleaned and done what I thought was everything to speed it up, but, I think it's too far gone now. The old guy that done it the first time has passed, and I'm thinking if its not too terribly hard, I would attempt to re-install. Before doing so, I will save anything I'm wanting to keep to another server as I don't have a burner, I"ll email them and leave them on their server until I've reinstalled. I am running a verified XP and I'm wondering by reinstalling does that change?

PS: I read over the forums about slow pc and stuff...but it seems like the more I do in downloading software to correct any issues, I just wind up with more issues. That's the reasoning behind re installing XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:19 PM

Not sure what Gateway was doing in 2001, but today they either go with recovery/restore disk or recovery/restore partitions.

The documentation for your system...should guide you through your options/procedures/etc. governing reinstall of the O/S using whatever you have.

I can't answer your question re activation, but that should not be an issue whether it's needed or not.

Louis

#3 Kydude69

Kydude69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

Thanks Louis for the fast reply! I just inserted by recovery disk and it wouldn't work. I think now something happened to the drive. I tried the other day to install printer software from the disk and it wouldn't work either. So I have major issues apparently. Probably got some kind of virus that destroyed my disk driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users