Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD/RW problem with Vista

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Owdman

Owdman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:37 PM

Hi,
I'm running Vista Home Premium on a Medion with a Quad 6600 CPU. I've tried two different LG DVD/RW drives both of which work fine on an old XP machine and read discs perfectly (including Adobe Lightroom and Starcraft II). On the Vista machine they 'read' these discs but don't autoplay and the apple icon appears. The DVD sees the disc as HST+ or unknown file format. Explorer gives a list of files but trying to open any file on the disc will crash explorer. They occasionally won't read the disc at all and will want to format it. I managed to put Lightroom onto my Vista computer by burning a copy using the XP machine. The dvd drive then read and installed this (though it didn't autorun).
I've trawled the Microsoft forums and tried various Microsoft 'Fix-It's. I've uninstalled and re-installed the drives and updated the firmware, I've bought a new dvd drive, all to no effect. The DVD drives will read CDs. I presume its a problem with the registry or a conflicting program? I rarely use the dvd drive to install games or to watch dvds, so I've no idea how far back I'd have to go to try system restore.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks
:huh:

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users