Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 ckirk

ckirk

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

Hello once again: I am working on an XP machine that had a sudden power outage [our home electricity went out...yes, I do have a UPC but the monitors were not on it...so, I just turned it off since there was not anything that I need to save...I know...not a good move]. After I turned it back on, it kept looping through the BIOS and would act like it was starting Windows but it would fail and loop again. I used Windows Recovery and it returned the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME blue screen.

I've not been able to get into Safe Mode and am unsure about getting in and tinkering with the BIOS until I have your guys help.

Thanx for your help in the past and, now :thumbsup: in the future.

cm

PS I believe that this machine has a virus. I ran ESET online scanner [on this machine when working w/Shannon on my last problem] and it turned up a Trojan [I believe] and I thought it quarantined the file. But, my suspicion is that it is still creating havoc.
PSS Using AvastPro + Malwarebytes, etc

Edited by ckirk, 10 August 2010 - 01:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

Hello and I welcome you back to Bleepingcomputer.

I have a few links which may help you solve your problem.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4480191_fix-unmoun...lume-error.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_4937440_fix-unmoun...reen-death.html

Please read the instructions on these two links.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to ask.

Kind regards.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 ckirk

ckirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

And, what would prevent me from booting from the CD drive, not get into Windows Recovery, or a C: prompt...because that is what is happening. When I try to access Recovery Console, I immediately get the blue page with Unmountable disc message. When I try to boot from Windows XP Install, it continues in the loop of Bios screen, Windows screen and back to reboot. Am I doing this wrong?

#4 ckirk

ckirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:30 AM

I'll continue to wait for help. In the meantime, I'm exploring all other topics that relate to BSOD & a virus.

Some suggest restart x15 in last good config ...continuing that. System during bootup stops at MUP.sys. Will add more as I'm able to provide more input.

Edited by ckirk, 12 August 2010 - 11:10 AM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

Hello and sorry that your post went unanswered for a few days.

Have you attempted to enter your computers BIOS setup utility to make sure the drive to which your windows XP is inserted is selected as the first BOOT device in the BIOSes BOOT menu?

If the drive is not listed as the first device before the hard drive to which you are trying to repair, it will be skipped over and the computer will attempt to boot from the hard drive first.

The system BIOS is accessed by hitting the proper key combination usually shown on the screen at boot up, it may be F2 or DELETE etc.

Once you have entered the BIOS, you have to look for a menu listed such as BOOT, or BOOT order.

Once you have the drive containing your windows XP disk selected as the first boot device and save those changes, reboot the system, there should be wording listed on the screen that says hit any key to boot from CD or DVD. It is here, that you hit the enter button and it should now say something about loading files needed to run windows or recovery.

Please let me know if making this change now allows the windows XP disk to load on your system.

kind regards.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 ckirk

ckirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:24 AM

nP... life does go on w/o computers, huh?

I want to be sure that I'm doing this correctly....I enter what appears to be an INTEL bios [at least that's what the splashscreen says]. Across the top is MAIN>ADVANCED>SECURITY>POWER>BOOT>EXIT...I enter Boot and the menu reads

BOOT MENU TYPE normal/advance NORMAL CHOOSE
BOOT DEVICE PRIORITY <CD/DVD-ROM DRIVE> 1st
<Floppy Drive> 2nd
<Hard Disk Drive> 3rd
<Ethernet> 4th

HARD DRIVE ORDER <WDC WD5000AACS-O>
<WDC WD5000AACS->

CD/DVD-ROM DRIVE ORDER No Optical Drive [??????? is this something]
Removable Drive Order No Removable Drive
BOOT TO OPTICAL DEVICES <ENABLE>
BOOT TO REMOVABLE DEVICES <ENABLE>
BOOT TO NETWORK <ENBLE>
USB BOOT [ENABLE]
ZIP EMULATION TYPE <FLOPPY>
BOOT USB DEVICES FIRST <DISABLE>
USB MASS STORAGE EMULATION TYPE <AUTO>

All are selectable except cd/dvd-rom drive order & removable drive order.

I also have a external HD attached to this machine.

#7 ckirk

ckirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:40 AM

I have also been reading some topics that have SOME similar thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...ble_boot_volume

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

Okay you have the drive selected as the first boot device.

During the post, do you see any mention of hitting any key to boot from cd or dvd on the screen?

Bruce.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:44 AM

If you have an umountable boot volume error...I'd say that points to the possibility that either your file system or your hard drive may have problems.

Since you cannot seemingly run the chkdsk /r command from the RC, I suggest you run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on your boot/system drive.

Louis

#10 ckirk

ckirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:51 AM

Bruce: No

Louis: I've been thinking that...I'll look more closely in my documentation and discs to see if I have it. But since it is having probs finding the cd/dvd drive, am I going to be able to do this. This is a custom built unit with a whole bunch of slots for flash/usb/sm/sd/mmc/ms/cfmd...whatever all those are...I only know a couple.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

Please go to this link and download the utility listed on this page and save it to a floppy diskette.

Make sure you enter your BIOS again and change the first boot device to the floppy disk drive and put the floppy disk in the floppy drive and reboot the system so it boots from the floppy disk and run the utility to check the hard drive for errors.

This page also has complete instructions on how to do this. Please read those first.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...d=2&lang=en

Please advise us of the out-come.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 August 2010 - 12:07 PM.

#12 ckirk

ckirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

okay ... I found out that I was not changing the boot sequence [+/- thing instead of up and down arrows as I've done in the past...opps] however still will not booting from cd/dvd even with changing correctly.

Now, I don't have a floppy drive but do have a sdmmc drive which I loaded the dx utility .exe on to. I am unsure as to how to choose this in the boot sequence. If I chose floppy, it still doesn't boot but it is now showing a black run-screen which states that there is a Boot agent failure and to check cable.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

What I need from you next is the make and model number of this computer, or at least an idea what the motherboard make and model number is.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

#14 ckirk

ckirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:01 PM

Okay...this is a custom model with an INTEL P5 LG775 MB w/INTEL CORE 2 QUAD 2.4 GHZ CPU [PI] Does this sound right?

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:33 PM

No the only thing you are discribing is the Intel LGA755 processor.

If you are unsure of what the motherboard is I can link you to a program that will tell you what your motherboard model number is.

However this program only runs when Windows starts normally.

If you have to, you'll have to open the computer case to look for the motherboard's model number, it is usually printed in the location of where the RAM module slots are.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users