Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2nd Toshiba recovery disk will not read

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Bar

Chris Bar

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:58 PM

Had software (trojan or virus) problem so tried to restore from Ghost, which said to insert the recovery disk. Have recovery disks (1 and 2) for Toshiba laptop and inserted and computer read the first. After inserting the second as requested, window again popped up asking for 2nd disk, so apparently it could not read the second disk. Recovery disks were furnished with the laptop and used only once, but are clean with no noticeable marks. I now have one disk that will read, and one good Ghost backup of entire laptop disk (the other backups were made after some computer problems occured so might be infected although AVG was used. Ghost backed up the HD as five separate files to an external HD. I have Norton Ghost 9 and Norton 2003 original disks as well as the orignial Toshiba two recovery disks (one apparently bad).

Since I used the first recovery disk, the HD was changed and now says it is missing a file [required to boot] and will not start. Since the recovery disks worked one time, I doubt BestBuy would be interested in doing anything about the second bad recovery disk.

I have frequently made backups which was apparently a waste of time. Is there anything to be done other than dropping the laptop off at my favorite computer repair store? I have an identical laptop (mine, the broken one is the wife's) for which the only difference is the disk content changes after an out-of-the-box condition,i.e. both were new and bought the same day. Can I use my laptop to generate a recovery disk, fix her computer, and then restore the drive from Ghost? If so, how do I make a recovery disk from my computer? I have also have the recovery disks for my computer unopened but prefer not to somehow mess them up too.

Hopefully this does not seem too involved, but believe I have noted all pertinent information.

Thanks,
Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

FWIW: Malware is not a software problem, it's a malware problem requiring an entirely different set of procedures/concepts...for overcoming such. Software problems ordinarily can be solved by simply uninstalling the software. Not so with malware...the efffects on the system may be felt long after the malware items have been removed.

As for recovery disks...the system manufacturer is responsible for determining how they work...what they do...what they won't do.

There is no standard rule for recovery disks...they may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and even system to system within the product line of a given manufacturer.

You would have to read the documentation for your particular system...to become knowledgeable about these disks.

I myself don't have any systems with recovery disks and the one OEM (Dell] laptop I own...I've done a clean install of Win 7 with a MS Upgrade DVD which I purchased.

Louis

Although your title is about Ghost...which is a backup software...I don't see much about it. If you have a backup, then you should restore it...assuming that it's useable and was properly made. I've not used Ghost, I still use its predecessor (Powerquest Drive Image) when I want to do backups of XP.

If you want recovery disks for your wife's system...I suggest contacting the manufacturer of said system.

Edited by hamluis, 10 August 2010 - 02:15 PM.

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:55 PM

do your toshiba laptop have recovery partition???
if yes try to use it???
and could you provide more information about your laptop type...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:37 PM

I did have backup made from Ghost several times over. The Ghost disks will not boot by themselves, and the Toshiba disks which I was intending to use, have been made unusable since the second disk cannot be read by the computer. Contacting Toshiba as suggested is probably the only remaining action other than taking back to store where it was purchased; they do computer repair etc. instead of only selling the things. Thanks.

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

Ghost usually comes with a boot disk on a floppy or cd. Do you have that? If you do then all you have to do is boot from the ghost floppy or cd or whatever with your external plugged in and ghost the images on it to the hard drive on your computer.

#6 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

Accessed the Toshiba site and found a location for ordering replacement recovery disk etc. There is no cost for the disk software but the shipping and handling is $25 :thumbsup: . Will call them Monday but will not pay again for a bad disk. Had read somewhere how to reproduce a disk, so will try to reproduce the 2nd disk and use it. Might fix the problem.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:56 PM

Just for clarification.

One of the main features of Norton's Ghost is to transfer a complete hard drive image from one hard drive to another hard drive, thus making a ghost image of the original drive.

This feature is used when a new hard drive is purchased and the user wants to transfer their present hard drive to the new one.

The program is also used for making an image back up of the hard drive as well, in case of a hard drive failure.

When creating such a back up through Norton ghost, you are asked to create a boot disk, usually a floppy disk is recommended, but in some cases you can create a bootable cdrom.

The program usually runs on the system in the background and keeps an updated duplicate image of the drive.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:30 PM

Ghost did not ask that I create a boot disk. I have backed up two laptops and my desktop every for months or so for maybe five years, or longer. I did need to use the recovery disk once when wife's laptop did not behave properly, and everything worked fine. Now, I have tried to restore from a Ghost image, which said I need to use the recovery disk, which I have tried several times. The second disk does not read when the compuer has read the first disk, and continues to say "insert next media". I did confirm that the disk is good by inserting in my desktop and it read and displayed the contents. So, I am thinking perhaps the disk drive is marginal and want to create an identical copy from my original 2nd recovery disk.

Using the 1st recovery disk, I erased the entire disk thinking there was something still on the disk, perhapsl part of the trojan or a root kit that was still there, which prevented the copy of the 2nd recovery disk. The 2nd disk still does not read although the first read fine.

I accessed the site imgburn but cannot identify exactly where I can download. The screen is full of other stuff which seems to lead folks to download other stuff. I searched and found a thread here on Bleepingcomputer.com, in which someone had an almost identical problem and succeeded in downloading and using imgburn to copy a scratched recovery disk. Is there another location where imgburn can be downloaded, and where it is clean which window to click to do so? Or can the actual exact location be identified to download imgburn?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

I don't use Imgburn, try Active@ ISO Burner - http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm.

Simple enough that even I can use it to burn an .iso into a bootable CD. Just use the default settings.

Louis

#10 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:15 PM

Thanks Louis, will download and try it right now.

#11 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:09 PM

Downloaded and trying to copy info to a DVD, but program seemed to hang at 95%. Is this normal and just holding at 95% until the data transfer is complete, or is it maybe really hung up at 95%. Seems I am closer to success now than ever before....a slight glimmer towards the end of the tunnel.

#12 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:21 PM

Continue to get "burning error". Any idea of what might cause this error...the source or the program..or the destination disk (used a brand new disk). The glimmer is fading...but still optimistic.

By the way, what do you mean by ".iso" I have looked at all the extensions and do not see an iso. Used to work in DOS but have not kept up with the Windows environment, or any of that stuff for years.

I had simply copied the recovery disk #2 to a new folder created on the external HD, then tried to burn from that folder (listing the folder name, i.e. e:\toshibarecoverydisk 2, as the source) to the new disk. Is the problem operator error? It goes through the erase process then starts burning, then burn error.

Edited by Chris Bar, 16 August 2010 - 12:32 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:33 PM

Can we be more specific about the error message?

When does it appear? Exact words, please?

Louis

#14 Chris Bar

Chris Bar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

I will try to burn again and copy the message to be accurate. I can only say now that it has a line that says burning error or burn error, then nothing. Will take a little while to get to that point then get back here. Thanks for staying with me on this. Oops..faster than I thought..here it is.

13:48:05 Creating CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD from image
13:48:05 Source File:
E:\Toshiba recovery disk 2
13:48:05 Destination device: MATbleepA DVD-RAM UJ-841S
13:48:05 Requested burning speed: Auto-Select
13:48:05 Write Method: Track-At-Once
13:48:05 Started
13:48:05 Transport: SPTI
13:48:05 Testing unit ready...
13:48:05 Unit ready
13:48:05 Getting BUP (Buffer Underrun Protection) support...
13:48:05 BUP obtained successfully
13:48:05 Enabling BUP (Buffer Underrun Protection)...
13:48:05 BUP successfully enabled
13:48:05 Setting CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD speed...
13:48:05 Speed successfully set
13:48:05 Sending OPC (Optimum Power Calibration)...
13:48:16 Burning...
Burning error!

Edited by Chris Bar, 16 August 2010 - 12:49 PM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,263 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

Hmmm...I can't tell anything useful from that.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users