Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Services and Controller app has stopped working

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 lwlb

lwlb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:28 PM

I booted my computer (Vista Home Premium 32-bit) last night and got an error message a few minutes after the desktop loaded stating that "Services and Controller app has stopped working". I wasn't aware of what this was, and had been getting a few messages similar to this about other programs recently, so I closed it and carried on. However I then got a messaged stating something along the lines of 'Windows has encountered a serious incident and will reboot in one minute'. It's true to its word and gives me only a minute to try and work out what's wrong. I've discovered that the error only occurs when I'm connect to the internet, so I've disabled my Wireless Adapter. I've Googled this issue and read several forums on the matter and it seems to be relatively common. What also seems to be common is that the only answer is to reformat the computer altogether. Another interesting turn of events is that Windows is now telling me I have 3 days to activate my copy of Windows as 'the product key I have entered is incorrect'. Furthermore, I ran AVG this morning and it detected a supposedly malicious program called 'desktoplayer.exe' that has now been 'disinfected', but whether this is related or not I don't know. I'm yet to reboot to see if this has affected anything. If anyone could shed some light on this I would be very grateful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users