Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard and Mouse problems at Windows XP Logon

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Laggings

Laggings

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:00 AM

A few days ago I unplugged my entire tower and moved it to another room to test a new monitor I had gotten. The only thing plugged into the tower was the VGA connection and the power plug. The computer monitor was broken, so I moved the tower back to my old ones, and plugged everything back in.

When I rebooted the computer to be sure everything worked, the keyboard (USB) and mouse (USB) decided not to work. To this day I still haven't fixed it, and this is what I've done:

Tried a PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard.
Unplugged everything, plugged back in.
Replaced all the USB, Keyboard, and Mouse .sys drivers in system32/drivers via startup command prompt.
Attempted to repair windows.
Attempted to do tests on the keyboard and mouse via setup utility.

The keyboard (Now 3 USBs and 1 PS/2 plugged in) and the mouse (2 USBs and 1 PS/2 Plugged in) will all work fine in the BIOS, but will all fail to work when Windows loads up to the login screen. I decided to make my HDD a slave drive on another computer, just to get some of my files off, but when I try to access my documents I get an 'Access denied.' prompt. My guess is because the profile I'm trying to access has a password, and I can't figure out how to remove it to get my documents.

Mainly I just want to get my computer back. If I could sign in I could attempt to fix this, but it's just been such a pain. I've spent hours looking up the problem, and it seems that it's different for everyone. My last two options are an entire driver rollback or a totally new format. Hopefully someone here knows what to do.

My system specs are:

Dell Demension 8300
Windows XP Home
2.5GB Memory
3.20 GHz Prosessor
nVidia GeForce 6800GT

Thanks.

Edited by Laggings, 10 August 2010 - 11:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:30 AM

With the drive back in the system it belongs to...try booting into safe mode...uninstalling the device drivers for KB/mouse...and then rebooting. Reboot automatically reinstalls those drivers.

When a user moves a hard drive/system partition...to a different system as a secondary drive...it's normal for the user to be unable to access files reflected in the Docs/Settings group.

Typical way to overcome this: How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#3 Laggings

Laggings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

With the drive back in the system it belongs to...try booting into safe mode...uninstalling the device drivers for KB/mouse...and then rebooting. Reboot automatically reinstalls those drivers.

When a user moves a hard drive/system partition...to a different system as a secondary drive...it's normal for the user to be unable to access files reflected in the Docs/Settings group.

Typical way to overcome this: How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

If I attempt to boot into safe mode it brings me to the Windows XP Logon screen. The KB/mouse will still not work, therefore I can't get into anything. I can however get into a DOS prompt and deal with files that way.

I will read the link. If I'm forced to do a reformat of the entire HDD, I'll need to at least get some of my files off. I just can't believe plugging in a monitor could cause me this much trouble.

#4 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:00 PM

Have you checked the in case USB cocnnections and made sure that they are all seated properly no damage to cables, etc. Tried mouse & keyboard on another box to make sure they didn't get whacked or something? maybe try Powering on and plugging them in after the logon screen? I know im throwing a lot out at ya, but usb mice can be a pain in the butt make sure you give them time to register and such. It can take a few minutes for the mouse and stuff to start working?

Oh and do any of the lights like numlock on the keyboard, or the led(if its optical) on the mouse light up?

Maybe we can shed some light on this yet

-Bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#5 Laggings

Laggings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

Have you checked the in case USB cocnnections and made sure that they are all seated properly no damage to cables, etc. Tried mouse & keyboard on another box to make sure they didn't get whacked or something? maybe try Powering on and plugging them in after the logon screen? I know im throwing a lot out at ya, but usb mice can be a pain in the butt make sure you give them time to register and such. It can take a few minutes for the mouse and stuff to start working?

Oh and do any of the lights like numlock on the keyboard, or the led(if its optical) on the mouse light up?

Maybe we can shed some light on this yet

-Bar

Checked all connections. All 4 mice and 3 keyboards (I have spares I plugged in, just trying to use a big net) work in the BIOS and using a DOS prompt off of the setup utility, so I know all the connections (USB and PS/2) work correctly. I've tried plugging them in after when it's on and off, still doesn't work when Windows starts loading up.

All the lights will work (Backlight on Keyboard, laser light on mouse, etc) work when it's powering on and in the BIOS, but when Windows starts loading up nothing will work. The PS/2 will just have the 'Num Lock' button stuck on, and you can't type on any of the keyboards or use any of the mice.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

Please try the suggestion in the following link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/332319/mousekeyboard-not-working/
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 Laggings

Laggings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

Please try the suggestion in the following link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/332319/mousekeyboard-not-working/

I plan on trying this, but now I have a side problem. Against my better judgement, I decided to attempt to do a repair of Windows XP back to the original SP1, hoping it would fix my problem. However, when it gets to the last part of installing WinXP, right before the finalization, I get:

Fatal Error - D:\i386\NT5INF.cat could not be found.

However, after looking at the CD on another computer, the file is in fact there. The CD is the original CD, with no scratches. I came across a website telling me to put the file(s) on another drive, such as a floppy or a flash drive, and then direct the NT5INF.cat to the new location. However, now it's not giving me the option to find where the file is, so I can't do it that way.

If I could get THIS problem fixed, I could work on the original problem. Got any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users