Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Excel won't open

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shaly777

shaly777

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:15 AM

I've got Excel 2003.
It's been working fine and now all of a sudden when I try to open a file it gives this window that says "Preparing to Install"
Then I get another window that says "Installation Error. File not found."
I don't have my installation disc. What can I do?
Who is this King of glory?.....Psalm 24:8
He is the Way, the Truth and the Life...John 14:6
His Name is Jesus!...Matthew 1:21

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thekingpin3000

thekingpin3000

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:56 PM

Hi

I downloaded the MS Windows Install Cleanup utility from the support MS site and ran it. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301

1. Run the MS Windows Install Cleanup utility

2. Select the non MS Office 2003 versions and hit remove. This will generate some kind of error message and crash the utility interface, but no harm; once you restart the util the entry for the selected item is gone.

3. Repeat until all non MS Office 2003 office versions are gone (I had to do four, two for each older version).

4. Reboot and voila! No more annoyance! Hope this helps everyone! :thumbsup:

or try this

If, when using a MS Office application, you have the message "Preparing to install ....", just create an empty folder named "XLStart" in the following position: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11".
Now restart your excel application and it should work ...

Source: http://icrontic.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-12340.html

Hope this helps
TKP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users