Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card and PSU problem.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hypnotize191

hypnotize191

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

So i recently bought a computer online and installed an 8600gt into it. It has a 250w power supply, so i thought it was a little bit too low, but i left it anyways. After 2 weeks, the video card just stopped working. When i plug my monitor back into the motherboard, the on board graphics, the computer works, but when i plug the monitor in through the graphics card, it doesn't work. Its weird though because the fan on the graphics card is still going. Any ideas? If i upgrade my PSU will it fix this and my graphics card will work again?

Edited by hypnotize191, 10 August 2010 - 09:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I have seen this model number show up a lot in the forums lately with a problem for some reason or another. I am not exactly sure what's up with that.

Some results were RMA issues, others were incorrect BIOS settings, some were resolved by rechecking that the card was properly seated in the slot and the last one is the present PSU did not supply enough Amps on the 12 v rail to power up the video card.

I would say for the quickest solution, is to try re-seating the video card in the slot to be sure it is making full contact, if you need to, use a toothbrush in the slot to make sure nothing is in between the contacts preventing a good connection from being made.

You may want to check the VGA port for a possible poor or loose solder joint, as that can happen from time to time.

If all else fails you should return the video card while it is still under a possible warranty and hope the replacement card works flawlessly.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 hypnotize191

hypnotize191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:28 AM

I did take the card out, i fully cleaned it with those pressurized air cans, i cleaned the slot out, i put it back in and it still doesn't work. Ive had the card for about 3-4 years now since this was from my old computer, so i don't think it has a warranty anymore.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:00 AM

Just for the record, the manufacturer suggests a PSU with 350W, and a 12V rail @ 22A.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hypnotize191

hypnotize191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

Just for the record, the manufacturer suggests a PSU with 350W, and a 12V rail @ 22A.

Alright, so is it too late to change my PSU to 500w now? Or if i buy a stronger PSU will it work again?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

I suspect that from what you have written that the card has failed. You want to try this card in another computer with a larger PSU to see if it will work there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users