Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access internet due to virus attack

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gerrysutton

gerrysutton

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

Hello all,
I recently had a virus attack my computer, without protection software. I have gone through the registry and deleted all suspecious files. I have also stopped the processes that are linked to the virus. I have also deleted all temporary files. I am trying to get online and download and use an antivirus software, to ensure the eradication of the virus; however, I cannot get on any websites except those with password protections such as bank, email. I'm am confident this has something to do with the virus, and have no idea what to do now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Gerry

Edited by hamluis, 10 August 2010 - 09:18 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BigBas

BigBas

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:38 PM

Try restarting your computer and booting up in Safe Mode with Networking. Next, open Internet Explorer, then go to TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS. Select the CONNECTIONS tab, choose LAN SETTINGS towards the lower right corner. If the 'Use a proxy server for your LAN...' checkbox is ticked, untick it. Now try downloading Malewarebytes to search for viruses.

#3 dark fader

dark fader

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:56 PM

Sounds like what I had - http protocol fails, https succeeds.

If the above doesn't fix it, try opening a command window (start|run|cmd) and type:

netsh winsock reset C:\resetlog_ws.txt
netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog_ip.txt

#4 gerrysutton

gerrysutton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:46 PM

Thank you Big Bas, your suggestion worked. I was able to get online and update my antivirus software and completely remove the virus. Thank you for your time and help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users