Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best free anti virus? Microsoft Security Essentials?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fgeelo

fgeelo

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:53 AM

I know this is probabaly a super common question around these parts but I want a completely unbiased approach as to what the best anti virus is for detection rates, removal, and all that jazz.

At the moment I'm with AVG and so far it has done me well but I hear that it isn't very good when it comes to detecting malware.

I've heard Avast! is good but I've also heard Microsoft Security Essentials is really good and at the moment I'm torn between the two and am not quite sure what to go with.

So can anyone here please suggest what is commonly believed to be the best FREE anti-virus? Please don't give me any hyped up marketing jazz, I just want an unbiased opinion. :flowers:

Thanks so much! :thumbsup:

Edited by fgeelo, 10 August 2010 - 08:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:51 AM

The new AVG is very good and if it ain't broke then don't fix it. If your PC is working ok and nothing untoward seems to be wrong then it is doing its job of protecting your PC. I sometimes get the feeling that if a company released an AV that everytime it scanned told the user it had found a virus/malware even though it really hadn't then it would probably be the most popular AV on the market. But practise safe surfing, be security aware and therefore our AV's never find anything so we immediately think they aren't working. Funny but very true. All the major AV's will protect your PC more or less equally if you observe simple safety rules so if AVG is working ok on your PC and not conflicting with any other programs or slowing down your PC then you should just leave it. However if you visit dodgy sites and surf where you are at high risk then the law of averages says that no amount of protection will keep you safe and sooner or later you will become infected.
I myself use Comodo Firewall Proactive Security with the latest AVG as AV. I have used the Comodo AV as well but for some reason it keeps finding a bug and shuts down the cmdagent.exe which never happens when I just use the Firewall and Def+. I then used Avira but had constant problems with the updater. I then tried Avast5 and again had update problems and now I am using the new AVG AV which I have found very impressive actually and no update problems so far. All of the above mentioned are the free versions.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#3 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

that's fair enough but I still feel like I could be missing out, even though AVG has been okay. It's just that I've heard very good things about Microsoft Security Essentials and I figured that, if anyone can make a good anti-virus, why not the creators of their own OS? So that's why I wanted to garner a bt more information about that and other anti virus because I am just unsure of the alternatives.

I may have been fine with AVG so far but you never know when something may creep along that it couldn't detect.

#4 Sevard

Sevard

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:17 PM

Avira and AVG are good free antiviruses. Some people claim that also Panda Cloud Antivirus is good software. But if you want to effectively defend your system then you shouldn't rely only on antivirus. I think it's good idea to install also good firewall (like Comodo Firewall*, Outpost Firewall Free or ZoneAlarm), HIPS (like ThreatFire or Malware Defender) and optionally sandbox(Sandboxie, but this is Shareware). If you want all in one then Comodo Internet Security is good choice.
Also GeSWall is realy interesting software.

* With Comodo Firewall you get also HIPS (Defense+) and sandbox.

Edited by Sevard, 11 August 2010 - 08:21 PM.

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

Hi,
If you're going to be keeping AVG, then I recommend you send out an alert to all of your teachers who could possibly send you documents with Viral macros in them. LOL. I'm sorry, that's a reference to what happened to me when a teacher of mine accidentally sent me a file infected with the W97M/Marker.C virus. It was going around my college files then, and AVG was no help in cleaning it off. It only deleted it. It took NOD32 to actually clean it up. Just a peace of advice. b

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#6 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

I know this is probabaly a super common question around these parts but I want a completely unbiased approach as to what the best anti virus is for detection rates, removal, and all that jazz.

At the moment I'm with AVG and so far it has done me well but I hear that it isn't very good when it comes to detecting malware.

I've heard Avast! is good but I've also heard Microsoft Security Essentials is really good and at the moment I'm torn between the two and am not quite sure what to go with.

So can anyone here please suggest what is commonly believed to be the best FREE anti-virus? Please don't give me any hyped up marketing jazz, I just want an unbiased opinion. :flowers:

Thanks so much! :thumbsup:

AVG is by far the worst AV program you can use. From personal experience I was running AVG 7.5 and a nasty virus hit my computer. It was so bad that even the actively running AVG process was infected. Nothing like an AV program reporting that itself is infected, eh?

MSE is the best free AV program and ranks better than many paid AV programs.

http://lifehacker.com/5433229/microsoft-se...-free-antivirus

#7 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:57 PM

thanks for the advice there. i have a couple more questions

1. what do you guys reccomend as the best PAID anti virus for effective real time protection and effectiveness at removing all types of malware including keyloggers?

2. also, how do these so called "identity protection" modules work on anti virus such as, for example, AVG internet security?

#8 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

could anyone please help me with my questions? would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

Hi. I 'd say Kaspersky and ESET are the best paid programs.

AVG 9.0 features the integration between the Resident Shield, firewall, and identity protection modules. This enables the modules to share malware information with each other, increasing AVG’s ability to detect and remove most malicious types of malware, rootkits, and ID Theft threats, for which signatures have not yet been issued.
http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=8267

Why Traditional Anti-Malware Solutions Are No Longer Enough 537KB ,PDF

In Kaspersky L@@K
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 trappermike

trappermike

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:51 AM

I too once though that Microsoft should be able to provide good malware protection,so I tried Windows Defender for a year or so,it was almost usless,it would "popup" and detect changes in the system(Like Threatfire),but was totally usless at finding any malware,it never did.
I'm also skeptical of Microsoft's new Security Essentials,as it requires you to remove all your present anti-malware,and rely solely on it.
Also,has ANYONE ever ran Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool and had it actually find anything? Another useless MS tool...
There is lots of aftermarket stuff that works well,free or Paid versions. Although many people swear by Avast,I didn't like the wierd interface,and found it difficult to remove. Avira has always worked very well for me,hard to beat,and the newer versions get better and better,good at finding really nasty stuff.
The old AVG did miss nasty viruses and trojans,but I ran the new version to try it and it seemed very well thought out and complete,I liked the whole package.
Just my personal preferences...

#11 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:19 PM

I too once though that Microsoft should be able to provide good malware protection,so I tried Windows Defender for a year or so,it was almost usless,it would "popup" and detect changes in the system(Like Threatfire),but was totally usless at finding any malware,it never did.

It is not a malware scanner. It is a spyware scanner only. You are expecting it to do things it cannot do.

I'm also skeptical of Microsoft's new Security Essentials,as it requires you to remove all your present anti-malware,and rely solely on it.

No, it runs fine with MBAM. You shouldn't run two AV programs at the same time though. That goes for ANY anti-virus/malware program and not just MSE.

Also,has ANYONE ever ran Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool and had it actually find anything? Another useless MS tool...

I have never ran it myself but according to reports it is quite effective: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Malic...re_Removal_Tool

In a June 2006 Microsoft report, the company claimed that the tool had removed 16 million instances of malicious software from 5.7 million of 270 million total unique Windows computers since its release in January 2005. The report also stated that, on average, the tool removes malicious software from 1 in every 311 computers on which it runs. As of 19 May 2009 Microsoft claims that the software has cleaned 859,842 machines from password stealer threats.

#12 trappermike

trappermike

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

Well,in the time I had Defender(About !.5 years),my Anti-spyware found lots of stuff,Defender didn't find a thing.
Malicious Software Tool has scanned my computer many many times over the years and still found nothing.
Not a great track record for either of them on my systems.
I'd like to hear from someone who can say "Yes,Defender or the Malicious Software Tool has found malware on my computer",at least more than once...

Security Essentials may indeed be a great tool,I'll admit I haven't tried it. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users