Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable Modem Help Pleaseeeee!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Originallist

Originallist

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:37 PM

I am going to be subscribing to suddenlink for my cable tv and cable internet, but instead of renting the modem they supply for yada yada $$/per month i was interested in purchasing my own. The cable speed is at least 8mbps i believe so, any suggestions for a suitable modem that i may not have to pay huge loads of money for????

THANKS!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:43 AM

Their webpage lists Netgear, Dlink, and Dell as hardware references.

I suggest taking a look at the info there and seeing if there are possible compatibility problems.

Louis

#3 DanT

DanT

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:50 PM

I have an Arris 502G working on Suddenlink with 8 MHz internet. Works fine.

Previously, I was using a Surfboard SB3100 which had the right specs, but didn't work consistently.

#4 Originallist

Originallist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:56 PM

Yeah i saw where they referenced that. I searched and searched but was not able to locate what actual modem they rented out. I have heard that many use the Surfboard, but then I have heard about many problems. I might be able to get an arris for pretty cheap off of ebay though. Thanks!

#5 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

Just as an aside, I also wanted to avoid overpaying for modem rental, but decide to go ahead with it anyway because if I buy one, Iím stuck with it. However if I keep renting it, then they will be responsible for replacing it if it dies, and more importantly, they will be responsible for upgrading (which has happened once already). Of course it all depends on the numbers.
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,268 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:18 PM

I was going to mention those points yesterday...then my brain took over :thumbsup: and ruined the thought.

I started my cable service with a Motorola SB3100...when it died, Time Warner gave me a SB5100, no fuss.

Louis

#7 Originallist

Originallist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

Very valid points!!!

I did find a good deal on ebay for a new one, so i will try that out....and if it does not work due to docsis versions or whatever, i will resell it on ebay, and rent one. Thanks for all of the help!

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:07 PM

Still using my old SB4100 that I bought many years ago. I figure I have saved $250 over the years avoiding the monthly rental fee.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

Still using my old SB4100 that I bought many years ago. I figure I have saved $250 over the years avoiding the monthly rental fee.

Right, like I said it depends on the numbers. If your ISP charges a lot for the rental and the updates are infrequent (my ISP is still supposedly upgrading to DOCSIS3), then you would be better off just buying one, especially as the OP said, you get one on eBay or something.
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users