Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to replace my MB and CPU, what am I looking for?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tajemi

tajemi

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:59 PM

I have been using my daughters laptop for a long time now because I need to replace my MB and CPU in my PC. I have no idea what to buy. I was looking on ebay but I really have no idea.

I will attach a pic of the inside of my comp...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30981694@N02/4877636515/

I really have no idea... lol

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cardplayingman44

cardplayingman44

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:10 AM

Well it depends on a lot of things. How fast of a computer you want what type of ram u want what u want to do with the computer like simple surfing or school gaming rather you like name brands or of brands. What windows you want to use. have to know all that first. it is easy.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:16 AM

Easiest thing to do is to get the model number from the motherboard and Google it. That's quickest.

Google the model number of the system (should be on a tag on the rear of the system)+motherboard and see what pops up. Reading the part number directly from the motherboard is still the most reliable method as the same model of computer sometimes used different motherboards depending on featureset.

Otherwise go to the OEM's website, find the model number of the system, and look for a parts listing.

Are you sure the CPU is bad? I replace a lot of bad capacitors on those older motherboards.

Edited by dpunisher, 10 August 2010 - 05:19 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 tajemi

tajemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:17 AM

I don't do any gaming, and I don't want anything fancy... so just something that will last a few years.
I was thinking of upgrading my Windows to the newest or a newer version. I have a 500g hard drive... ummmmm

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:01 AM

You need a micro ATX motherboard, I would recomend a Gigabyte or ASUS board, or perhaps a biostar, since your not into high end gaming or performance, probably a AMD platform. What kind of memory is it? can you post the computer make and model if you don't know so we can look it up? and are you sure its the motherboard/CPU?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:50 AM

Do you want to replace the current motherboard/CPU with an OEM part because there is a problem, or do you want to upgrade?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

It's very important if we know...how much cash you are prepared to drop :thumbsup:.

My general feeling is that it's pretty useless to plan on replacing a motherboard/CPU...when the net result is a new system (the motherboard/CPU are the key components of a new system, IMO).

Depending on how old the current board/CPU are...it may be best to go forward with an upgrade/new system (which would include new RAM).

Current system manufacturer and model?

Louis

#8 tajemi

tajemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:15 PM

It's an IBM thinkcenter... how do you determine the model (maaaan I am not helping much am I?)

Last year the CPU fan would be working on overload and eventually my hard drive crashed. I have a new hard drive sitting here waitng for me to put in but I want to replace the CPU and MB (I was told that probably caused the crash). And I would prefer to upgrade because this computer is getting old.

Maybe I should just buy a new one *sigh*

LOL... I really like to do things myself.

ETA... the whole thing needs an upgrade.

Edited by tajemi, 10 August 2010 - 07:22 PM.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:47 PM

should be a number by the name on the case. Should say something like IBM thinkcenter 531 or something like that somewhere on the case.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users