Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix Problem Encountered

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WindowsError

WindowsError

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:53 PM

Hello. First off thank you for spending your time reading this thread.

My home computer was experiencing some issues with malware. I searched around on Google and came to MajorGeeks.com(Sorry if I'm not allowed to post a link to another website). They had a pinned guide on how to clean up your Windows XP computer. I have followed that guide. The guide has informed me to run CCleaner, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, SUPERAntiSpyware and ComboFix.

I greatfuly regret running ComboFix. Like others, I disregarded the warnings and caution I should of taken when using this tool. CF has been running for almost an hour now. It has downloaded and installed the Micorsoft Recovery Console and created a System Restore Point. It then went on to scan my computer. It has been on the same screen for almost 40 minutes now. The screen consists of two messages.

(As best as I can remember)
"The scan should take no longer then 10 minutes".
 "Although in some cases, the scan time can easily double depending on how badly the computer is infected".

No other messages have come up on the ComboFix screen. I have no clue what my next step should be and I am looking for help.

All help is greatly appreciated. Again, I am sorry I disregarded all of the warnings and I should not have ran this without proper help.

If any other information is need I will gladly post it if I can.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:36 AM

The best thing would be to just aboard the scan. If you need more help with that, please let me know. :thumbsup:

If you need help with malware removal, please follow this guide.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 WindowsError

WindowsError
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:33 AM

The best thing would be to just aboard the scan. If you need more help with that, please let me know. :thumbsup:

If you need help with malware removal, please follow this guide.

Thank you for the response. How should I abort? Clicking on the X to close the command prompt window doesn't do anything. Everything else is disabled.

Thanks.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,829 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:42 AM

Try alt-ctrl-del to access the Taskmanager and look for processes with a .cfxxe extension.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#5 WindowsError

WindowsError
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:53 AM

Try alt-ctrl-del to access the Taskmanager and look for processes with a .cfxxe extension.

Task Manager is disabled.

I was luckily able to turn off my PC by holding down the power button. This did not effect my computer in any way, I think the scan for ComboFix never started, so it was just sitting there idle with everything disabled.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,829 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:12 AM

Its possible it did something, its not the first time I hear about this issue by certain infections.

Please let me know if you need any more help here.

regards, Elise

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,829 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:30 AM

Hello, are you still there?

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users