Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sending Emails Using Microsoft Photo Editor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevemalee

stevemalee

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:56 AM

When you right click on a photo in My Pictures, and choose "send to" and choose "mail recipient" a box pops up asking if you want to send a smaller photo. All I read says you must make your photos smaller to send them in an email. So, I click "yes, make smaller" and then my email pops up with the photo attached with a size of 31 -56 appx KB.

Now, how do I make the photos smaller when I want to email more that one photo? Many emails I receive have many photos attached, but I cannot find anywhere how to do this EASILY so that all the photoos are smaller when attached to the email.

I was told how to attach more than one photo by holding down the control key, etc. but that method does not make the photos smaller.

I really do appreciate your help. You are the first BBS I have found that has a forum for photos and believe me, I have been searching.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:35 PM

:thumbsup: to BC stevemalee.

I have never used that function (emailing direct from the 'My Pictures' folder) so I gave it a go just now using Windows XP Home.

Open the folder.
Select a few pics using the Ctrl key while clicking.
Click the 'Email this File' icon in the left frame.
A 'Send Pictures via Email' dialog opens asking if I want to "Make all my pictures smaller".
Select that option and click OK.
An email composition window opens with all the selected pictures attached ready to send.

When I checked my email I had sent 3 pics that were originally 109KB, 332KB and 229KB.
The received photos were 55KB, 52KB and 117KB respectively - not consistent but all reduced in size.

I don't know why you are not seeing that option, maybe running a Windows Update will provide the function?

hth :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:44 PM

I always prefer to send full sized graphics (always JPEGs) as attachments to an E-mail, now that most E-mail providers are more generous with the total size of each E-mail. If you "care enough to send the very best" bear in mind that reducing the size of pictures (not "cropping") is often done at a reduction of quality.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:17 PM

All I read says you must make your photos smaller to send them in an email.

I missed that comment first time around - there is no imperative to make your email attachments smaller. ISPs, because of storage limitations, used to impose a size limit of a few Megabytes on emails. That meant if you attached all your holiday snaps at 1MB each it was easy to exceed the size limit and your email would not be delivered. Now, as jgweed pointed out restrictions have eased - a 10MB limit is common. This still means you can't attach all your holiday snaps to one email if they are large, high quality pics without reducing them, but if you only want to send a few then there is no problem sending them full size.

Another reason for reducing the image size when emailing was for the convenience of the recipient - if they were viewing your monster images on a 640x480 screen it was a real pain to have to scroll around to view the image. These days with higher resolution screens and photo software more common its not such a problem.

Edited by Rimmer, 29 October 2005 - 08:21 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 30 October 2005 - 03:10 AM

I used to find it rather inconvenient receiving multiple photos when I was on dialup! :thumbsup:
Even if they had been reduced in size they took forever to download, and often prevented anything else going on whilst they were about it! This is not a problem now we have a fast connection, but I have got into the habit of putting my own photos in online albums in image hosting sites such as Photobucket,( http://photobucket.com/ ) and just sending the link to my recipients.
The quality is still pretty good, and since they are mostly pictures of friends and family at events we have shared, that isn't a major issue. If I want to send higher quality pix I put them onto a CD and use good old snail mail, or I have been known to print off my better efforts and send the printed version.

This is just how I do it - other folks may have other suggestions. :flowers:

Luci2a

#6 stevemalee

stevemalee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:41 AM

All I read says you must make your photos smaller to send them in an email.

I missed that comment first time around - there is no imperative to make your email attachments smaller. ISPs, because of storage limitations, used to impose a size limit of a few Megabytes on emails. That meant if you attached all your holiday snaps at 1MB each it was easy to exceed the size limit and your email would not be delivered. Now, as jgweed pointed out restrictions have eased - a 10MB limit is common. This still means you can't attach all your holiday snaps to one email if they are large, high quality pics without reducing them, but if you only want to send a few then there is no problem sending them full size.

Another reason for reducing the image size when emailing was for the convenience of the recipient - if they were viewing your monster images on a 640x480 screen it was a real pain to have to scroll around to view the image. These days with higher resolution screens and photo software more common its not such a problem.

Thnaks for your help in both messages. Now, I understand how to send multiple pix from Explorer using the control key, File, send to commands; and do appreciate the new knowledge re: not needing to make pix smaller in this day and age.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users