Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly resets

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kushdiesel

kushdiesel

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:25 PM

Hi guys - first post. I did a lot of research about this issue I'm having but I'm still at a loss - so time to ask the experts :thumbsup:

My computer randomly resets - I know it's not a software issue because it will reboot in Windows XP, Windows 7 (on another harddrive/partition), or even before I can enter the BIOS. I've tested my memory one-by-one and tested using different memory banks. I've reseated the CPU, applied new thermal paste and it's still running at 31 Celsius. I've disconnected all my SATA drives except for the one with the MBR. Checked the motherboard for faulty capacitors or leakage - but nothing there.

Sometimes I hear the PSU turn off completely and restart the power cycle. Sometimes it'll reboot without any fluctuation in the power (ie the power supply stays on.) Here is a description of my guts:

Gigabyte P35-DS3L mobo Firmware rev. F8a
Intel e8400 CPU @ 3.00 ghz stock speeds/not overclocked
Zalman 9500A-LED 92mm copper CPU fan
2x Zalman ZM-F3 120mm case fans
2x 2GB G SKill 8500 memory sticks (tried one stick alone, tried 2 in 0&2 banks and 1&3 banks)
2x 1GB OCZ PC2 6400 memory sticks (for testing - makes no difference - still getting reboots.)
MSI N250GTS Nvidia GTS 250 512MB PCI-e video card.
XG Vortec PSU PSVO-600 600W ATX12V PSU
2x Hitachi 1 TB drives.
2x Seagate 1.5 TB drives.

What really has me stumped is that it will sometimes reboot 3 times as soon as I start the computer up and at other times, the computer will stay on for hours before randomly rebooting. This happens when I'm surfing the internet, playing a game, watching a movie - doesn't matter. My CPU stays pretty cool at 30 degrees to 45 under load. My GPU is about 50 degrees to about 80 under load. I ran memtest86 overnight an no errors - but I've also tested the memory in different configurations and even tried another set of spare RAM.

Mobo looks fine - no leaky capacitors or anything. I reset the CMOS battery but no dice. Reset the BIOS to optimized config and it still happens. I do have to modify the voltage to my RAM because it doesn't receive enough juice at the default bios settings and I get a BSOD. Other than that - everything is at defaults - no overclocking.

Any idea what it could be? I ordered a Corsair PSU which should arrive in a few days so I can test the PSU then - but my current PSU seems to be working fine otherwise. The rails are passing what they should... the northbridge seems a little hot to the touch, but I think that's normal - not sure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:04 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I read your description above and see you have just about all the bases covered in your trouble shooting techniques.

I am curious what method you used to diagnose your computers temperature readings.

You mentioned your north bridge chip seems a bit on the hot side. It depends on how hot, hot is. Perhaps you could try directing some cool air toward that chip to see if this problem goes away.
This chip might be the reason this is happening.

I also see you said you are waiting for a newer PSU to be delivered, perhaps this exchange will resolve the problem. Please keep us posted on the arrival of the PSU you ordered and the results you encounter with this piece of hardware.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 August 2010 - 09:06 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 kushdiesel

kushdiesel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:56 PM

Hi, thanks for the welcome :thumbsup:

I've used both Core Temp and CPUID HWMonitor to monitor the temperatures and everything looks fine. The northbridge feels a little hot to the touch but I'm not sure how to get a reading on that or how to tell what's an acceptable temperature for it. Argh I hope it isn't the mobo because I'll have a lot of work cut out for me and I don't know of any utility that checks the motherboard stability.

I just used CPU-Z to get some details about my memory and something weird just happened. I noticed the timings were changed from what I manually set (5-5-5-15) to the default (5-7-7-20.) Nevertheless, even after this, the computer reset itself. I'm not sure where it is getting those default timings from... :flowers:

So perhaps it's the memory - but I tried with my OCZ memory and I got the same reboot problem and I thought I ruled out the memory but I guess I can't. I previously tried using one stick at a time and it reboot the same for each stick. Memtest86 checked out fine after running tests all night, but it obviously reset itself once (or more) during the night. Something weird is going on.

I'll keep you posted on the new PSU. My Vortec is already a 600W but I don't know how reliable that brand is. I've had it for a few years now and it has never been an issue though. I know Corsairs are supposed to be the best so I'll just look at it as an investment in my computer's health even if it turns out that the PSU isn't the issue.

Thanks again.

#4 kushdiesel

kushdiesel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

Just to add, I also used nTune and the temperatures are consistent with the other programs so I don't think it's a heat issue and the sensors seem to be fine.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:12 PM

I am familiar with cpuid's hwmoniter I have that on my computer and use it every now and then.

As for the changes to your RAM timings, your BIOS may have reset those settings for a reason.

I am just curious what would happen if you entered your BIOS set up utility and tried executing options such as load fail-safe defaults, those default key strokes are worded differently in different BIOS menus. They include wording like load setup defaults, load best configuration etc. etc.

Have you tried doing that yet?

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 kushdiesel

kushdiesel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

So I used the "Load Fail-Safe Defaults" option in my BIOS but the computer reset twice before my boot menu appeared, and once at the boot menu... argh! I went back to my original settings (basically just the memory timings and voltage) and there was a period it was up for 6 hours while I slept, but then it rebooted again and again over the next hour - which I was able to tell by looking at the eventvwr logs.

I reformatted my hard drives, re-installed windows but to no avail. Even though I don't think this is software related, I thought it may be some rootkit activity although I never heard of such a thing infecting the BIOS... but for the MBR on my hard drive, I thought it was worth a try.

What's really weird is that the computer seems more stable when it's been on for a while. If I start up the computer in the morning, I get very frequent reboots and the northbridge is ice cold at this time...

So I'm off to Microcenter to buy "spare parts." I swear I will probably be able to build another computer with all these things I'm buying and can't afford :thumbsup: Will probably pick up a cheapo GPU and memory just in case...

Tomorrow my Corsair PSU comes in so I'll hope it's put to bed then.

#7 kushdiesel

kushdiesel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 05:17 PM

So even with the new PSU installed I got 2 reboots which was enough to throw my hands up in disgust and buy a new motherboard. Yesterday I bought some new RAM but obviously that didn't fix the issue so today I exchanged it for a Gigabyte E43-UD3L board.

I really didn't want to rip the guts out of my computer but it looks like it had to be done. If there's any consolation, the new motherboard supports 6 total hard drives which is cool. My video card is even running 5 degrees cooler but maybe that's because I positioned the CPU cooler differently. Is there a ideal setup for airflow in a case?

Now it *seems* to be running smoothly. Can anyone suggest some stress tests I can run - and for how long? I want to make sure it's absolutely stable before I rejoice...

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:30 AM

Can anyone suggest some stress tests I can run - and for how long?

Here's a program that can stress your computer.

3dMark06 http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark06/introduction/

As for proper cooling, you could post a link to an image showing the inside of your computer case, that would be helpful for us to make recommendations or suggestions to you.

But over all you want to make sure all air vents are clear of obstructions.

You should have at least one cooling fan just inside the front panel area blowing into the computer case.

And one blowing out of the case in the back panel area.

Your PSU should have two cooling fans if its a good one, with one intake cooling fan and one exhaust fan.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users