Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore point don't really work like this, do they?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The EE

The EE

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

I tried to do a restore of my win 7 64-bit machine and found only three restore points. The oldest was 36 hours old. That struck me as dumb so I called our tech support. According to them, win 7 builds a restore point automatically after certain changes and only saves the most recent three restore points. That seems dumb to me, but it gets worse because every time forefront installs an updated signature list it makes a new restore point. Given that forefront updates at least once a day, you're never going to have a restore point more than a couple of days old.

I'm told that the only alternative is to disable automatic builds of restore points. The problem there is that also deletes any restore points you have. The choice seems to be having your oldest restore point be two days old, or having none at all. Not even ms would do something like that, would they? Does anyone have any work around, or are we just missing something down here?

Sincerely,

Ray

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sjvirchow

sjvirchow

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:57 PM

I just looked at my system restore for Windows 7 (64 bit) and I have system restore points until 08/05/2010, so that's four days worth of system restore's. The only one on the 5th, is a Critical Update. Maybe Windows make's exceptions for Critical windows update's?
Hardware: The parts of a computer that can be kicked.

#3 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

I tried to do a restore of my win 7 64-bit machine and found only three restore points. The oldest was 36 hours old. That struck me as dumb so I called our tech support. According to them, win 7 builds a restore point automatically after certain changes and only saves the most recent three restore points. That seems dumb to me, but it gets worse because every time forefront installs an updated signature list it makes a new restore point. Given that forefront updates at least once a day, you're never going to have a restore point more than a couple of days old.

I'm told that the only alternative is to disable automatic builds of restore points. The problem there is that also deletes any restore points you have. The choice seems to be having your oldest restore point be two days old, or having none at all. Not even ms would do something like that, would they? Does anyone have any work around, or are we just missing something down here?

Sincerely,

Ray

You can create your own restore point whenever you want though: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...system-restore/

It is primarily limited to the amount of disk space you allocate for System Restore. I limit mine to 3% disk space so it doesn't keep very many restore points.

Edited by JonM33, 10 August 2010 - 02:10 PM.

#4 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

This link might help you understand Windows 7 System Restore better...

Windows 7 Restore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users