Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Screen Flickers Then Laptop Powers Off

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rook0316

Rook0316

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:19 PM

I have a HP DV4-1225dx laptop that the screen would flicker while booting up into Vista. I would be able to get as far as the login screen sometimes and the screen was visibly flickering with hard drive activity. After a minute or so, the laptop would instantly power off. This happened to me several times. This happens with the charger plugged in to the laptop.

So, I left the charger plugged in to the laptop to make sure the battery was fully charged (charging light came on), got home from work and went to power the laptop up and nothing at all.

I tested the power supply with a multimeter and I am getting good readings. I am having problems testing the battery as the contacts are too small for me to get my multimeter probes into. I used aluminum foil to get to the contacts and get my probe attached to it. I am getting nothing. However with a netbook battery I tried the same rig and got nothing when probing it either. Am i doing something wrong?

Does this sound like a battery problem, mobo, or something else?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:52 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I read your description above and first want to point you to your laptops support pages.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product...p;submit=Go%20

Here is some information regarding HP laptop batteries. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3860437

Purchasing a new laptop battery. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c00821572

More helpful information. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3860437

If you really want to test your battery with a DC volt meter, you can file the tips of the probes to where they are almost like a pin point and take a reading, some batteries have other circuits built into them which identifies the battery to the system BIOS, they have a hardware product code built into them electronically, its called hardware detection. It enables Operating systems the ability to identify the battery. You may be testing the wrong contacts.

If you have any further questions just ask.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Rook0316

Rook0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

OK, I tried replacing the battery and power adapter. The computer ran for about a half hour, then died. It will not boot again.

The power connector to the mobo seems fine. Do you think there might be a blown cap or something on the mobo?

Thanks again.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:28 AM

Okay we have so far replaced the power adapter and the battery.

But we still have a system that shuts down in or around the time the Windows splash screen appears.

It is also about the time all drivers are being loaded to make all your hardware work.

During this period of time, several things can cause the system to reboot or shut down.

Keyboard errors, video graphics accelerator errors and a processor that is suffering from inadequate cooling.

I think its time we looking into some computer maintenance here.

We need to check that cooling fan and heat sink on the processor for either dust accumulation, or cooling fan thats not doing what it supposed to be doing.

One of the most common problems with laptops is there is very limited space inside the unit, so if there is any build up of dust, it almost always causes over-heating issues to develop.

That's where I think we need to concentrate our efforts at for now.

I suggest you try blowing the laptop out with a can of compressed air, try to concentrate it into any holes you can get that small red tube into the tight spots.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:07 PM

Nevermind for now :thumbsup:

Edited by CohenTheBarbarian, 20 August 2010 - 05:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users