Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AntiVirus Malware, should I use Combofix?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Marquesta

Marquesta

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:17 PM

My Mothers computer has a rogue virus and I was told to use Combofix, but after reading the warnings, decided I'd better ask first.

I started the computer, tried to open Explorer, and got a message saying "Application cannot be executed, the file "xxx" is infected. Do you want to active your anti virus software now?". This happened with whatever program I tried to open, giving a different name of a corrupt file every time. The name of the program they want me to buy is AntiVir Solution Pro.

I shut the computer down, restarted in SafeMode. I went to Restore System, where I chose to restore to about a month ago (I was surprised to see that it had restore points as these programs usually erase them), but after reboot, it said "unable to restore to this restore point.".
I went back into SafeMode where I ran AVG anti virus in line mode. At the end of every line of every file the program went through ended with 'File Protected, Not Scanned'.

That's when I called the Computer Tech that suggested ComboFix.

I have looked up this rogue online, but now am scared to download any fixes as I don't know who to trust and who not to.

ComboFix or....?

Thanks!

Becky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

Well...each user needs to decide...what suggestions are worthy of following.

You may want to read ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/.

My suggestion would be follow the guidance above.

You should take a look at the BC Removal Guide, Antivir Solution Pro.

Because of the current backlog in our Malware Removal Logs forum, I would definitely suggest following the guidance in the Removal Guide. If that doesn't solve it, then follow the instructions in the Guide which are listed under the "if you are still having problems" section.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users