Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yeesh... NOW he's out...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wildhare5

Wildhare5

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

I suspect this one will need to see professional help before this is all said and done. But this forum helped me out a lot last time, so maybe this one will work, too.

Okay, this morning, my computer was making an odd whirr*click* repeating sound. It also was unable to detect my hard drive. I thought this was odd, but I didn't have time to deal with it this morning.

This afternoon, I took things apart and dusted the insides of the system nicely. Now, it still makes the whirr*click* repeating noise. When it gets to the "detecting primary" part of startup, the system powers off.

I know I'm probably abusing my privileges here, but does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this (or what I might do to fix it?) I know I should probably take it to a shop at this point, but I'm broke.

...and, if this is anything more expensive than a power supply, I may just wait until I can afford to upgrade the entire system anyway.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

Sounds to me like a failing hard drive or a possible cooling fan problem, such as a cooling fan worn out or the blade is hitting a cake of dust.

If you can please post your system make and model number and if its also possible could you supply the make and model number of the hard drive.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Wildhare5

Wildhare5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:19 AM

As far as I can determine, this is what you're asking for. Am I correct? (I happened to have an old copy of DxDiag on my backup hard drive)

System Manufacturer: ECS
System Model: 945P-A
Drive Model: WDC WD1600JS-60MHB1

I did a little research and found this bit of information: link
The sound my computer is making is identical to the second sound bite under the "clicking/knocking/clunking/sweeping noise" section of the article.
...which I suppose gives me my answer.

I don't suppose you know if the data is recoverable in this situation (and how much such a thing would cost me)? My last backup is a couple of months old, and there's a few songs I bought off of Amazon that never got backed up.

#4 chrisxa

chrisxa

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

why dont you open your computer's case and then listen to where the clicking noise really comes from. If its from the hard drive then im afraid its dead/dying.
Beneath wings of darkness, wings of death, I dwell in shadows,
Here I have found a kingdom, here I have found a princess; the princess of darkness.
She's the only one I fear, my princess wrapped in shadows, my princess beloved.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:54 AM

If it is making a rythmic clicking noise, similar to a clock ticking, Im afraid it is the hard drive and it has failed.
You should replace it
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Wildhare5

Wildhare5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:04 PM

It makes sense that it's the hard drive (confirmed that the sound is coming from the drive).
I suppose I will have to replace it once I get paid again. Rats... I was really hoping to make this thing last until the end of the year so I could buy a whole new system with my bonus. Oh, well.

Thanks for your help, anyway.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:10 PM

You most likely have a failing hard drive.

Before you do anything more with the drive, try to install it as a slave, so that you are not booting to this drive anymore.

If your controller board is still functional, you may be able to access the contents of this drive to save data off of it.

Once you have saved your data, you can run disk diagnostic utilities to see if the drive is repairable at all.

The cost of data recovery is cost prohibitive to say the least.

Here is a link to western digital disk diagnostic utilities.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph...prods=227%2C295

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users