Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hardware/old Hardrive With Xp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tcbr

tcbr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:50 AM

I just finished putting together a new computer for my wife. Most all hardware is new, harddrive is old with windows XP pro from old system how do I get it to work with new system without reformatting and doing a new install. My wife will kill me if I lose all her data.
Can anyone direct me to an article that explains in detail how to do this? I am assuming that I have to use the repair deal in windows XP but I don't know exactly what to do. My DOS knowlege is still intact somewhat but I need to be lead by the hand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:56 AM

I just finished putting together a new computer for my wife. Most all hardware is new, harddrive is old with windows XP pro from old system how do I get it to work with new system without reformatting and doing a new install. My wife will kill me if I lose all her data.
Can anyone direct me to an article that explains in detail how to do this? I am assuming that I have to use the repair deal in windows XP but I don't know exactly what to do. My DOS knowlege is still intact somewhat but I need to be lead by the hand.

Put the old hard drive in the system...do a repair install of XP. Remove/disconnect all drives other than the the DVD/CD drive which will be used for the install...and the drive which will be C: drive. These can be reconnected after the XP reinstall is accomplished. This is to assure that the C: drive is recognized as C: during the install.

You will probably have activate the system after consultation...anytime you change a lot of hardware, the system is not recognized as the same one previously cleared/activated.

If the license is OEM/proprietary (Dell, Gateway, etc.) and you physically tried to move it to another system, you will probably be unsuccessful in your attempt to activate it. OEM licenses belong to the system.

TweakXP.com - How To Do a Repair Install of XP - http://www.tweakxp.com/article36955.aspx

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 October 2005 - 06:59 AM.

#3 tcbr

tcbr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:03 AM

Put the old hard drive in the system...do a repair install of XP. Remove/disconnect all drives other than the the DVD/CD drive which will be used for the install...and the drive which will be C: drive. These can be reconnected after the XP reinstall is accomplished. This is to assure that the C: drive is recognized as C: during the install.

You will probably have activate the system after consultation...anytime you change a lot of hardware, the system is not recognized as the same one previously cleared/activated.

If the license is OEM/proprietary (Dell, Gateway, etc.) and you physically tried to move it to another system, you will probably be unsuccessful in your attempt to activate it. OEM licenses belong to the system.

TweakXP.com - How To Do a Repair Install of XP - http://www.tweakxp.com/article36955.aspx

Louis

Thanks Ill check out the article

#4 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:24 AM

Before you do anything, why not backup her data! :thumbsup:

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:56 AM

Here's a link that worked for me when I moved the last 2 systems that I rebuilt:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users