Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

rocket raid 1520 hang on install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:06 PM

So I'm trying a fresh xp install. I know xp works fine on my system but wanted to put a mirror in for my system drive.
I chose the RocketRaid 1520. My buddy has used them before with success.
My System::
Q8300 cpu
Asus p5g41-m le motherboard
2 wd 500gb blue drives
1 rocketraid 1520

So I booted up, went into the raid config screen, created the raid 1 array and initialized. I select a boot drive and apply changes/reboot.

I boot up to xp disc and press f6 to put in the raid drivers. I put in the xp drivers for the raid card and it accepts them. It shows my 500gb array and succeeds in formatting it. Then it goes to copy the files and gets stuck on hpt3xx.sys which i understand is one of the rocketraid driver files. It just hangs there. If I let it go for a while it will tell me it can't copy the file and give me a choice to abort or retry or cancel. All of which get me nowhere.

I have tried tried the drivers that came with it, as well as what I believe to be the newest drivers "Driver version: v2.4.6.1110" I have tried deleting and recreating the array. I have updated the motherboard bios. I am using a USB floppy to load the drivers, but I've tried multiple floppy disks and multiple floppy drives. There's no floppy header on this motherboard to use an internal drive. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:24 PM

<<I put in the xp drivers for the raid card and it accepts them. It shows my 500gb array and succeeds in formatting it.>>

Where did you get the drivers from? Link, please.

Highpoint drivers come in a cluster...and Windows can install the wrong ones. Did you open the package that you downloaded...and then only put the XP drivers on the floppy?

Louis

#3 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

i got the drivers from http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_Driver/page/rr1520.htm and yes I just extracted the full zipfile to a floppy, so it included 2003 xp 2000 drivers. It did give me a choice at the f6 prompt of which ones I wanted to use.

I did submit a ticket with highpoint and they actually got back to me in a reasonable time. Their response:
"make sure to extract the new driver directly to the floppy diskette, and a use standard floppy drive (Windows versions prior to Vista have trouble recognizing USB drives after the first stage of setup)."

That didnt help as this motherboard doesn't have a floppy header. They may be right but I'll never know. I did find a real slow solution though.

Solution:
I installed my fresh os on a single drive, installed drivers, added the raid card as a slave and installed the drivers for it. Then I shutdown, connected the hard drive with my os on it, as well as a matching blank hard drive, to the RAID card. Then I had it rebuild the mirror, duplicating the data from my os drive to the other, which is a really nice feature on this card. It took hours to duplicate, but the finished product is a working mirror array running my os.

There must be a better way, and I plan to keep experimenting, but at least a working solution exists now.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

Well done, more work than I would have gone through...loading the XP drivers only at the F6 prompt...is simple and works.

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:04 PM

ok i started over to try your way cause I have issues, lol. I hate not knowing if something else would have worked :thumbsup:

So anyhow, i deleted the other drivers from the floppy disk, deleted, and recreated my array. Went to do a fresh install and got the same result. So it's not hanging up on the selection of drivers, since i only have 1 on the floppy. I'm inclined at this point to believe the highpoint people and assume its an issue with the usb floppy drive. Although I have tried 2 different usbfloppy drives, it always hangs when it goes to copy the highpoint driver from the usb floppy drive, and the light only stays lit for a split second, like it's not really even trying to read the floppy. I think if I had a floppy header on this motherboard this would never have been a problem. I think it's not the drivers, not the floppy drive, but rather the method of connecting the floppy drive, thats limiting me.

Just a theory, but at least we know the really long way works.

Thanks for the help.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:13 PM

I have a couple of Highpoint cards and I have installed XP on a RAID setup (just to see what problems I would face). But I have floppy drives that I can insert into the system when I need one and I just loaded the XP drivers via floppy.

Sooo...my experience is that a regular floppy drive has no problems with the drivers...I've never used a USB floppy and it may be the problem.

But...once the drivers are loaded at the F6 point...all the files are stored in memory...and the install of XP takes place from all those files.

I do not have an answer :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users